Gibson Brands Forums

Shop apparently lost my AJ

sbpark

not guitar per-say, I sent my Marshall combo in for warranty to work, wound up some place in White Plains New York... months go by, nothing.. Finally after talking with the Repair center manager, he arranged a brand new one, "We have record of recieving it, but we have no idea what happened from there" - turns out there was a location move of the service center in the middle of all of this..

6 / 8 months later, UPS drops off the original amp that was sent for Warranty work. They had it for about a year till they found it.. I was torn between keeping both, as I was pretty PO'd that I didn't have an amp I had just bought for 5 months while they dicked me around for what turned out to be a blown internal fuse that if I knew then what I know now, I could have fixed it in 10 minutes.

The people I wound up working with from Marshall Service Headquarters were petty good during the ordeal, so I wound up calling them to let them know I had 2 amps, they called for a UPS pickup, and thanked me for being honest because they knew how badly they gaffed things up.

People make mistakes, it just so happens that you were on the receiving end of this particular one. If he consistently does good work and is truly busy, and has treated you right before, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? I work as a media producer, and sometimes people just will NOT call me back about a location or talent or scheduling - and it frustrates me, but what I've come to find out is that most people don't want to call you back unless they have a "yes" or a positive interaction - and often they are working to get a "yes" from a higher up or something, but -they avoid conflict. It sounds like he just wanted to "solve the problem" before giving you undue stress and worry, which is understandable, but frustrating. People try their best to avoid potential conflict. I'd continue to take my guitars to him in a heartbeat - this is how you build long-term relationships with people. [wink]

Got the AJ back. Sounds and plays great and he really did a great job. Guitar was PLEK'd, took care of some sticky tuners, got rid of a burr on one of the posts that seemed to be the culprit for repeated strings breaking, fixed the loose/wobbly stock saddle, set it up great and put a set of D'Addario EJ19 and told me if I didnt like them to bring it back and he'd futon what I usually use which are EJ16's, but said to give the EJ16's a chance. I dropped off my J45TV for a set-up and should have it back tomorrow. I mentioned that for the last 2 years I've been having trouble deciding what pickup to install in my acoustics, and have been unhappy with UST's, tried an LR Baggs Lyric but it's feedback prone, lacks a little low end and needs a lot of EQ, sound hole pickups sound like an electric guitar, and feel like Trance Amulet systems are heavy and ridiculously expensive. He said he personally uses K&K. I've never tried a guitar that had a K&K installed in person, and only heard clips and was underwhelmed. He lent me one of his guitars he plays out with that has a K&K installed and told me to take it home and try it out. I took it home, set up my amp and Radial PZ Pre and was really impressed with the sound of the K&K. With everything set flat it's a little wooly, but with some quick EQ I'm shocked how good it sounded, so I sent him a text and said throw in a K&K while he's at it, and when I pick up the J45TV I'll be leaving the AJ with him again to have a K&K installed. Will do some digging around and see what others are using, but also considering putting a K&K into my Waterloo.

Archived