Gibson Brands Forums

Gregory Alan Isakov

sbpark

Drove down from Oakland to Santa Cruz to see Gregory Alan Isakov last night. He's playing up my way the next two nights, but unfortunately I have to work, and it was well worth the drive. The guy is a class act, a bit shy and incredibly humble and very appreciative of his audience. He plays an old 60's J50 with a Sunrise pickup. His band sounded incredible and his voice is wonderful live. If he makes it to your neck of the woods I'd highly recommend going to see him. He's done everything from solo gigs to playing at Red Rocks with the Colorado Symphony. Tonight was at a small venue, and he had a 5-piece backing him; drums, bass, fiddle, cello and a guitar/banjo player.

Here's a little bit about his guitar: http://truevintageguitar.com/gregory-alan-isakov-and-his-1967-gibson-j-50/

Hey sbparky

Any other artists similar that might not be heard of ?

He's right up my street , Jeffrey Foucault , Jeffrey Martin both similar , more wild he welcome

My tastes are all over the place. I'm a big fan of stuff like Wilco, Son Volt, The Jayhawks, etc but can't stand stuff like Mumford & Sons and all that other cheesy, "trying to hard to be folky" folk stuff if that makes sense. Then I also listen to a lot of old post punk stuff usually when I'm at the gym like Refused, Quicksand, Vanishing Life, etc. Someone on here, possibly yourself, turned me on to Dylan LeBlanc recently and he's been in heavy rotation. Also been listening to a lot of The Flying Burrito Brothers early stuff lately. I started playing " Sin City" from them and love their version of "Wild Horses".

Thanks for sharing those fine links- Video 1 just left me with a renewed appreciation for what a cello can do for a recording. Video 2, from the Westy Sessions- lots of good listening to all of those performing in & around the VW Westy vans. Gregory Alan Isakov really coaxes some sound out of the J-50 there (vid 2)- nicely recorded. Great, raw and artful production, too. Looking forward to listening to all of the Westy Sessions.

"Leonard/McCoy": John S from True Vintage Guitar is a stand up guy who used to post here on a regular basis; he quit the day job, and followed his love for acoustic guitars to do T.V. Guitar full time. Hope it's been working out for him.

Archived