Gibson Brands Forums

HNG Day

JasonG

My eight year old daughter wanted a new guitar and I couldn't pass this one up at only $499! It played pretty nicely out of the box, but after a few mods both functional and cosmetic this little thing rips!

First I put semi PUP covers to class up the pickups. I was going to swap them out but I actually like them.

I took off the cheap wrap around bridge that does not allow for a very low action and replaced it with the Gotoh 510, Not only is this bridge slick and sleek, it allows for a very low action and as u can kind of see in one of the pics, there is still plenty of room to go lower! I also switched out the all black top hat knobs for silver top hats and put some pointers on too.

This is quite a fun little guitar that plays nicely and sounds great.

20170429_004254_zpsgp0oosl3.jpg

20170429_004401_zpsh8fwaewh.jpg

20170429_004958_zpsrpojninx.jpg

The gotoh bridge is an amazing option. With it I currently have it set at 5/64th on the bass and 3/64th on the treble side for string height with more than enough room to go down if needed. Its rock solid and was a direct drop in. I love it. If these guitars were $100 more but came with this bridge I would be more than OK with that! My original I was only about to get to 6/64th and 4/6ths and the bridge was on the body.

The other mods were just cosmetic but it dresses it up pretty nicely. I especially like the pickup covers! The next mod will probably be an earvana nut which I put on all of my GIbsons.

This guitar is amazing in my opinion and is a blast to play!

I like the mods you did on this. I have one of these but the existing bridge prevents low action. I should try that Gotoh bridge out.

Heard some good and some bad things about this 'S' series, but glad that this one worked well. Certainly tempts me closer to having something cheap and cheerful...

Archived