Gibson Brands Forums

B-15 12 string

Cabarone

Well - the 45 is a big box guitar that can run you over if you're not used to driving a 12-string. I mean to say it had a mind of its own, and you need an equally strong will, a degree of focus, and a measure of technique to make it behave. A friend of mine used to say that the B-45 was the most powerful acoustic musical weapon known to man. Gibson's small-body 12-strings are generally a bit more domesticated by nature. The B-25-12, B-15-12, and LG-12 can all make a statement, but allow the player more control with less conscious effort. A B-45 is like a stallion, while the smaller 12's are like really strong geldings.

Gordon Lightfoot is one man that could tame a Gibson 12 string (B45 I think). This YouTube is of him playing "Sundown" live. However, when he recorded the song, he used a Nashville strung 6 string overdubbed with a regular six string. I think a LOT of what we've heard on recordings of 12 strings have used this secret studio technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOs-MqDOI0

Gordon Lightfoot is one man that could tame a Gibson 12 string (B45 I think). This YouTube is of him playing "Sundown" live. However, when he recorded the song, he used a Nashville strung 6 string overdubbed with a regular six string. I think a LOT of what we've heard on recordings of 12 strings have used this secret studio technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOs-MqDOI0

I am such a mope; I've read liner notes on his albums that list him playing "tenor guitar"...found out it was a 6-string strung w/the higher 12-strings...never caught on that they were "simulating" the 12-string sound in the studio. The "official" Lightfoot website has a list of all the tracks he played a 12-string on...now I gotta wonder...

Archived