Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone model unknown

1FBrewing

I have a Gibson Epiphone acoustic and can't find the serial number anywhere. Any idea where to look?

I have researched online and the best I can tell is that I have the Emperor, like the Joe Pass but before they put the signature or Joe Pass markings on it.

Appreciate any help.

post-86202-082356100 1499379825_thumb.jpg

post-86202-004802300 1499379835_thumb.jpg

The picture is very small, but it looks like it has the truss rod cover with Gibson written vertically. If so, it is most likely a mid to late '90s model (possibly early 2000s), built in Korea. The particular style of the "E" on the pickguard also places it in this period. Epiphone frequently used four different Korean factories, including Saein, Peerless, Samick, and Unsung. A serial number was often stamped on the back of the peghead, but from what I've seen first hand, I would say that Unsung or Peerless are the most likely to have only put the serial number on the inner label. Obviously, your inner label is missing, because it's always easily visible through the bass side F-hole.

The instrument does indeed look like a typical Joe Pass model. It's possible it originally had Joe Pass written on the pickguard, but someone elected to take the name off.

They are nice guitars - enjoy!

Because of features such as the pickup selector switch on the upper horn of the cutaway, I would guess you have an Emperor II. Probably built before the mid-1990s at the Peerless or Samick factory.

Yes, I think you're right ZWF. I didn't catch the selector switch being located on the cutaway!

She looks like a (Joe Pass?) Emperor II to me as well. The (red) Epiphone label should be situated inside one of the f-holes. Additionally, there should be a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock.

The location of the selector switch on the cutaway would tend to indicate the Emperor model just prior to the Emperor II (there were both Emperor & Joe Pass versions in assorted years, ending in '93). Also, Peerless in particular often went without a serial number on the back of the headstock. Their labeled serial numbers started with a P or R, and then the model year. The OP's label must have fallen off, but who knows, maybe it's lurking around somewhere inside the body. Time to break out a flashlight & automotive inspection mirror!

Archived