Gibson Brands Forums

Recording with Nashville tuning

Lars68

Just did these two recordings with Nashville tuning. It turned out very cool, I think! Anyone else using it?

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/29th-of-september-new-1

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/way-up-on-the-hill-new

The main guitar in the recording is a Martin D-18 (oops...) and the Nashville guitar is a tiny little Kalamazoo KG 3/4 Sport from 1938 (the one one the left below, other guitars not mine and not exactly big either).

image_zps801607d3.jpg

Same chords, same positions, just a different set of strings.

Lars

That's a great sound Lars! I love how it gives a mandolin flavour to the guitar.

I have my '68 Yamaha FG150 strung in Nashville tuning and I record it on the right channel and then dub my SJ200 on the left channel. It gives a nice chime to the track and makes it sound much like a 12 string. I have a great 12 string, but recording with two six strings, one in Nashville tuning, makes the final result a little less muddy and with a great deal of clarity.

I recorded two songs with this combination:

Peaceful Easy Feeling

Tequila Sunrise

Doug, that was excellent! The Nashville gives the sound great width. I'm a very rudimentary player. I can't do any fancy stuff on the guitar, but the Nadhville guitar somehow makes my playing sound bigger and better than it is. I got the voice and Martin on the original track panned about ten percent left, while the Nashville strung Kalamazoo is about fifty percent panned to the right, picking out some notes and strums on the same chords. A great little trick for a hack like me!

Thanks for listening!

Lars

Thanks Lars. I was surprised to learn (although many have known this for years) that many of the songs you always thought were recorded with 12 strings were actually recorded with a two six strings double tracked with one in Nashville tuning. So songs like Dust in the Wind, Wild Horses, Lyin' Eyes, Hey You etc. now make sense to me.

Nashville tuning is EADand G strings all tuned up one octave ?

Is that right?

Essentially yes. It is a completely different set of strings with much thinner gauges. I bought these:

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=71

Daddario calls the set "high-strung". So each string is tuned to the same note as on a guitar with regular strings, but in a higher octave. So you can play just like normal. I enjoyed giving it a try and will keep this guitar with this strings set.

Lars

Lars, this sounds great! The little K-Zoo and the D28 dance around each other tone wise beautifully. Great delivery too, sounds like Townes Van Zandt if he'd been into Nico instead of Hank Sr.

This is my only foray into recording with Nashville tuning, from my second album, 'I'm Alive', back in 2006. Beautiful Hammond playing from Stephen Darrell Smith and haunting steel from Melvin Duffy on this too...

Lars, this sounds great! The little K-Zoo and the D28 dance around each other tone wise beautifully. Great delivery too, sounds like Townes Van Zandt if he'd been into Nico instead of Hank Sr.

This is my only foray into recording with Nashville tuning, from my second album, 'I'm Alive', back in 2006. Beautiful Hammond playing from Stephen Darrell Smith and haunting steel from Melvin Duffy on this too...

Jinder, that sounded beautiful. The Hammond combined with that Nashville tuning sound was awesome. You really know what you're doing!

Thanks also for the kind words. Having somebody mention Townes in connection (no matter how remote...) to songs I've written means a great deal to me.

Lars

Essentially yes. It is a completely different set of strings with much thinner gauges. I bought these:

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=71

Daddario calls the set "high-strung". So each string is tuned to the same note as on a guitar with regular strings, but in a higher octave. So you can play just like normal. I enjoyed giving it a try and will keep this guitar with this strings set.

Lars

The lower four strings are tuned an octave higher (like on a 12 string) but the B and the high E are the same as standard tuning.

Archived