Gibson Brands Forums

Elizabeth Cotten question

Jayla

I'm wondering if anybody could tell me the name of the first song Elizabeth Cotten plays in this clip on YouTube. The clip is titled "Mama, your papa loves you," which is the name of the second number she does. I'd like to know what the first one is called. Also, if anyone could recommend a book of her music, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, if you look at the notes she's fretting but ignore her hand, you can see which notes to play, as this is the way the fingerboard looks to you (assuming you're right handed.) Unfortunately they don't show enough left hand, I can't be sure how she's tuned, some open tuning. All that music with only thumb and index finger! Of course , it helps that she has a pre-war Martin that has such a golden voice that a single sustained note will make you cry. Even through the ancient recording that guitar sounds hauntingly beautiful. And it is very well tuned, which never hurts.

You know, it's sick the way dozens of different web pages about Cotten simply reproduce the Wikipaedia entry on her, which of course has no details about her tunings. It seems that as soon as Wikipaedia shines it's light on a topic, all further exploration ceases. What stone could the "experts" have left unturned?

It's interesting too how little info, relatively speaking, there is about her music out there. I haven't been able to find references to a single book of her stuff. There is one DVD, as nodehopper mentioned, but that appears to be it.

Also, it's surprising how Fahey's early stuff, the Blind Joe Death things, so strongly and closely resemble some of Cotten's work.

I'm finding her work to be pretty exciting.

Archived