Gibson Brands Forums

Question about ES175 lacker

fauvent

Hello guys,

Since 2014 I have been thinking about buying one of this Memphis 1959 ES-175 Natural just because is so gorgeous. But recently I see the lacker (I guess) has change. The 2012, 2013, 2014 models look like prety clean and transparent. Now it looks like carmel color. Does someone know if you can some how read in the specification of the guitar if it is that carmel color or the clearer one? Does somebody knows if Gibson Memphis gonig to stick from now on to that kind of lacker?

Thank you guys!

Do you mean this?

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/1959-ES-175D.aspx#ES7D16VNNH1

Click on "change finish".

The info refers to a "gently-aged patina" and if you scroll down to 'finishes' you will read that they use Natural Stain and Tobacco Stain then a coat of Hi Gloss Lacquer to achieve the finish.

So it is not the clearer, more transparent finish, though you could find a very good condition clean s/h ES 175 with that completely natural finish quite easily I think.

As to whether they are going to stick with this finish, it is used on this particular model to make it look like they did in 1959. They will probably change it again in awhile.

No one can ever be sure what Gibson might do regarding future models and finishes. But it seems like for 2017 the only natural finish 175 they are making is the one that replicates a '59 model and has the aged (slightly darker) finish that you have seen.

But in 2016 they offered it with a lighter natural finish and I saw a few of them for sale at Musician's Friend and Sweetwater so you should be able to still find a new (albeit produced last year) one available with the lighter natural finish.

Hello guys!

Thanks a lot for the answers. I see it now in the link you sent me jdgm. It has that "Natural Stain, Tobacco Stain" finish. I just asked you guys how to spot that because I live in a place where I can hardly buy a guitar personaly. I need to do it online and that way sometimes gets tricky to spot the diference. I live in europe no plans in the near future to travel to the states Twang Gang, so will be dificult to buy it in thouse places. But anyway, thanks a lot guys! It was very informative!

[biggrin]

Archived