Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar ( cool piece)

slimt

So what is the story?

Gibson did start producing "The Flatiron" mandolins in the late 1990s or early 2000s. They had a similar logo on the headstock and were around for at least a decade. They ranged from army camp versions to F style mandolins. I recall Musician's Friend offering them. While I could be wrong I think they were more of a "budget" offering. I also believe at least one Flatiron mando was offered by Epiphone.

Before being purchased by Gibson, Flatiron started out with their nice Gibson Army-Navy copy mandolin in the '80s. Very well built & tonally one of the better buys on the market at the time. I almost bought one back then, but instead landed a Gibson A mandolin.

Ren has mentioned that when Flatiron approached Henry (with a prototype in hand) about producing their F models, he basically said, "How about if I just sue you?" Sometime thereafter, Gibson bought out Flatiron's Bozeman shop, and the rest is history.

• 3 months later...

I actually bought this guitar yesterday and sent on an email with pictures to Bruce Weber asking for the history and provenance on the guitar. Here is what he sent back.

"Hi Thomas, Back in 1995 this was the only Flatiron guitar that had been built and don't believe Gibson follow up with any others after moving the operation to Nashville. This 'Prototype' became mine. She's a one of a kind!

Bruce"

Here's the history on Bruce Weber.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

I actually bought this guitar yesterday and sent on an email with pictures to Bruce Weber asking for the history and provenance on the guitar. Here is what he sent back.

"Hi Thomas, Back in 1995 this was the only Flatiron guitar that had been built and don't believe Gibson follow up with any others after moving the operation to Nashville. This 'Prototype' became mine. She's a one of a kind!

Bruce"

Here's the history on Bruce Weber.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

Cool looking guitar and I loved reading the story about Bruce. Man made some fine mandolins...

Archived