Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 1x12

ask28

Yes, I know.. this is a LP forum, but since I value your opinions so highly I thought I would ask.

Does anyone have any input on the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 1x12? I have always had solid state amps, but have loved every tube amp (starting with the Fender Twin Reverb many moons ago). However, I know have a 2002 LP Desertburst and (alas) 2004 Fender (yes, I said it.. The "F-word") U.S. Telecaster Standard w/maple neck and natural finish (you would love it too!), and it is a shame to plug these into non-tube amps.

I live in Italy, and they are charging 1,600 euro (new) for this model at the local music store (light years away from GC).

The idea of buying one in the states had been option (saving hundreds of $s), but having to plug it into a power converter, hauling it across the Atlantic, and risking damage cancels out the advantages. Okay, there are other tube amps that are cheaper and have great tones, but don't seem to match up (here goes the Apples and Oranges debate again for the 123,343,342 time).

The question is... What is your advice/opinion?

Thanks for being there.

I had one for several months. The clean channel is great, very satisfying to play. The crunch channel is neat to. I didn't care a whole lot for the distortion channel. Overall it's a great amp. USA made, 5/50 watt switch, 4 channels with independent EQs, etc...

Great for the money except they sounded a little thin to me. At the time I was a pure strat player. I like an amp that sounds great with single coils and humbuckers.

I like Mesa amps. I think they're very well made and sound great. They're just not my style. I do use a Mesa 2x12 cab that I've had for a couple of years. I love it. I won't sell it.

• 1 year later...

In the UK Mesa amps are very expensive but also highly rated. Depending on the preferred sound I often look at the tube specs and then compare at various price points. For example the Vox AC30 is a revered amp for good reasons using EL84 tubes...the Laney VC30 is wired similarly and costs almost half. The other question is whether to go for combo or seperate head/cab...50watts sometimes deserves a cab although a combo can achieve much in a compact format.

I have the 5:25 version, head and 3/4 back cabinet.

It is a different amp in that uses El84's on the power section. I love this amp.

2 out of the 4 channel voicings are designed for "single notes" meaning they give a thinner sound but more defined when playing notes, the other 2 voicings are full and fat, good stuff. I am sure the 5:50 is a similar design.

Archived