Gibson Brands Forums

K & K installation

vw1300

I’ve successfull installed myself a few times. And then one time I botched it. I won’t ever do it again on my own.

I’ve paid $200 installed for the pickup ($100 plus $100). They also adjusted the action via the saddle in the process. Some places might charge less, but that seems reasonable to me.

How’d you botch it Sal ?

Not poking fun , just might be useful info for something to watch for if someone is attempting it themselves

Ie. Me

1508914790[/url]' post='1888256']

How'd you botch it Sal ?

Not poking fun , just might be useful info for something to watch for if someone is attempting it themselves

Ie. Me

I’ll post a picture later... I drilled out the endpin, used the wrong bit, and it chewed into the guitar. My end jack sits in a splintered hole of glue to disguise the shame of my being as handy as Lindsey Lohan.

OK - went over to YouTube and watched a couple videos, installation does not look too bad. My J-50 already has an endpin jack so I'm guessing it won't require much if any drilling.

Upon further reflection, the K&K mini is passive so it would be best with a preamp - is the matching K&K preamp the best thing to use or would I have options? OTOH, what would be a good pickup that doesn't require a preamp?

Thanks,

The k&k is a hot pickup, despite being passive.

If you are going into an amp at home you’re good to go.

That being said, it’s sounds best buffered through a box with 1m ohm impedance. I can’t explain this stuff. I can just say that it sounds best going through a k&k pure ultra preamp, or a fire eye, which has a nice boost function too.

Thanks to all who replied - I think I'll order one in and try it myself. $50 sounds pretty good for an experienced luthier to put it in though. I'll report back when I get around to this but it could be a month or three.

Archived