Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes They Come Back

zombywoof

I have read many posts in various guitar forums about love at first sight or proclaiming a guitar a "keeper" as soon as you get it in your hands. Pshaw I say. More often as not that is the Honeymoon Period talking.

One of the surest ways to know a guitar is a keeper is when you let it go and then buy it back. Last year I got a burr under my saddle and decided I needed to lighten the load in anticipation of a move out of state. So I said bye-bye to three guitars. But I could not get one of them out of my head - a 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent. That thing just haunted me. I could have replaced it. Not impossible to find although the blonde versions are far rarer than the bursts. But this thing was the best archtop I have ever played. Also, I had put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into getting it back into playing condition. So what was a poor boy to do. I bought it back, even kicking in $200 more than I had let it go for.

I do not have many guitars I will call keepers. You never know what is coming down the pike. But if buying a guitar back ain't love, I do not know what is.

If you have that option, you're fortunate. I'd never fault anyone for buyback if they really missed a certain guitar. I've had that luxury only once - '62 J-50 - and haven't regretted it an iota. Wouldn't dream of letting it go for a second time.

I have done this with my J50. I sold it to a guy on the UMGF. A year later he listed it for sale - higher than what I sold it for. I emailed him, and like a true gent he sold it to me for the same price I sold to him.

Lucky indeed.

Apart from mine , it’s the best guitar on the forum

To this day, I still occasionally check listings to look for an L-48 I had purchased in the '70s.

It's one of the few instruments I've let go that I'd want to buy back, mostly for it's fine tone & overall uniqueness. It was a '48 or '49, with a pressed solid mahogany top, and flat back with bracing that looked like it had been borrowed straight from the flap-top acoustic shelf. The tailpiece was also rather distinctive, and I still have a couple of old Polaroid shots of it, so it would be easy to correctly identify.

Don't really hold out any hope that it'll ever turn up again, but it can't hurt to look!

Archived