Gibson Brands Forums

The Rosewood Conundrum

JayinLA

CITES-The center for missing and expoited trees,has rubberstamped regulations that now affect all 300 species of Rosewood, when it's fairly well known that the Brazilian Rosewood tree was the "edangered" species. The one folks are worried about. The ripple this has caused through the guitar industry is crazy. Selling a Rosewood made guitar overseas is now virtually impossible. You have to apply for lading paperwork from folks who really don't want the hassle of going through these applications, to sell even an used instrument, made decades ago, before CITES was even around. (at least heard of)

Now, I am all for saving our endangered species, and I believe we should make conscious effort to do so. But this, much like most environmental regulation seems to be a complete boondoggle.

How much wood is a guitar made from?

Are countries like China going to pay any mind to these regulations?

Why are 300 species of Flora included in the regulation when it's only one that's endagngered?

Is Ebony wood any worse or better for guitars?

What do we do once ebony wood is 'protected'?

What percentage of the Brazilian Rosewood is being used by guitar manufacturers vs the total of the annual supply?

Who benefits?

A bit of common sense would indeed be welcome, because like you say, how much wood is a guitar made from? I'd say there's comparatively little wood used for guitars in any one year.

Gibson used Grenadillo for some of the 2017 guitars, like on my 2017 Flying V, and unless it cracks this winter, I like it as an alternative. I recommended you oil a new Grenadillo board stat if you get a guitar with it, though. Certainly made a difference. Could I tell it from rosewood now? Maybe if I knew beforehand. Otherwise, I'd say no.

Archived