Gibson Brands Forums

J15 bad action ?

greywater

Well said, Zombie. Well said.

The bone height on my J15 is considerably higher at the low E end than at the high E end. Is this normal ?

THX

Yep that’s pretty standard, all my Gibsons are the same. Some of the old fashioned straight bridges are cut slanted to offset this appearance, but generally you need higher action at the bass end than the treble end, hence the slightly odd saddle appearance.

After playing it for several hours, my newbie panic has tempered. As noted by more experienced players here, it ain't no Telecaster. It's a different animal and will take some getting used to. I'll have a local luthier lower the action just a bit, I think.

I was playing some ancient Marty Robbins tunes on it today. It brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks all, for the advice etc.

After playing it for several hours, my newbie panic has tempered. As noted by more experienced players here, it ain't no Telecaster. It's a different animal and will take some getting used to. I'll have a local luthier lower the action just a bit, I think.

I was playing some ancient Marty Robbins tunes on it today. It brought tears to my eyes.

Great to hear!

As a side note.. I like to take my new to me (used) guitars to my Luthier friend.

Just to get the "once over". I pay him $40-60 depending on what needs to be done.

Gives me peace of mind to know it's set up proper.

Enjoy!!

I love to play Marty Robbins tunes. :) Glad you are getting to know your new Guitar.

I had just the opposite problem. I played a 1958 Tele for decades. But coming to it from acoustics with a Dearmond 210 pickup slapped across the soundhole I had a heck of a time adjusting to the lower action.

• 2 weeks later...

I restrung the J15 with Gibson Lights today and the action is considerably better IMO.

Lights can make a huge difference in playability, especially since you're coming from an electric. At some point you may want to try round core strings like DR Sunbeams, which require a bit less tension to tune to pitch, and are a bit more flexible as well.

You will never get to the playing ease of an electric with your J-15, but you should be able to get a lot closer than where you started from.

Lights can make a huge difference in playability, especially since you're coming from an electric. At some point you may want to try round core strings like DR Sunbeams, which require a bit less tension to tune to pitch, and are a bit more flexible as well.

You will never get to the playing ease of an electric with your J-15, but you should be able to get a lot closer than where you started from.

Thanks, J45. I'll check those out.

greywater,

Dont discount the impact of a quality setup. The action is more than what is the height at the 12th fret.... We are talking saddle, neck relief, and nut all together. They all combine to make a guitar unplayable, good, pretty good, or fantastic.

I bought a used J45 from one of our members here a few weeks back. The action was fine at the 12th fret, but the b string had this muted buzz unfretted open. The relief was set to compensate for it as much as it could.... but it was still off, and the guitar needed a setup. The nut slot was a tad too low. My guys at my local haunt made a new bone nut, adjusted the neck relief back to spec, and now the actions is low and playability everywhere on the neck.

A good setup might cost you a bill, but done right it will make your guitar your best friend.

Archived