Gibson Brands Forums

Fair value of a j100 Xtra with Fishman Matrix pup

MorrisrownSal

Ok,

It didnt ring my bell. Very bright but with less bass than I thought. Admittedly I compared it to a J200 Maple in stock, and a J200 Sunburst Vintage.

That was exactly my opinion. All upper end while you kept asking yourself where is the bass?

And living in Northeast Ohio with all the flippin' lake effect snow I do not have a whole lotta choice about driving in it. I will give them kudos though. They do know how to keep the roads clear.

Thanks for the info, as this now tells me that the 2003 catalog was only incorrect about the rosette.

It's always so interesting how one guitar can differ so much from another, even with virtually identical builds. My 2000 maple example has a ton of bass, but retains a nice degree of brightness at the treble end. In fact, it has a deeper & fuller bass than the maple '01 J-150 I had, and many J-200s I've played.

It seems like Gibson's maple jumbos can be all over the map. Imho, to be truly relevant, a jumbo body should absolutely have that booming & rumbling bass!

As already mentioned, don't let this experience sour you on maple jumbos. We've had the same type of discussion about J-185s, and they too are quite unpredictable. When you play a good one that's truly representative of the breed, you'll know it immediately.

Archived