Gibson Brands Forums

All New Marshall DSL Range

Rabs

Well this is the first tube amp I have actually owned.. But ive never been a big amp freak, I can usually dial in a sound I like on almost any amp.. This one I actually bought mainly to show my guitars off and it does a great job of impressing people at the shows. Ive also taken it too a jam (Farns used it) where again it performed really well at high volumes..

I have however played through many different Marshalls at the various jams ive done over the years so I have heard many.. My regular one when I was in a band was a JCM 2000.

While I know that the SL5 (like the ADF) is voiced in quite a specific way, the fact it has a full sized speaker which you don't always find on a small 5w I think really makes it.. Ive never had an issue getting a sound I like out of it, but then im just not that fussy I guess :)

I just have no real need for anything else.. I don't play out and hardly play through the amp at home cos im in a small flat (apartment).... So im alright with it.. If I played out id probably have more than one.

Sorry Rabs - I didn't realize you owned one of these. I meant no disrespect whatsoever. My friend John is a local Marshall dealer & he has a bunch of the Vietnamese made Marshall amps which I have played thru at his music store. I did not care for them. I'm old school & that may be at the root of my prejudice about these amps. I feel the same way about Fender guitars made in Indonesia. And, as stated - as long as your happy with your purchaee - THAT IS the only thing that matters. Period.

I bought this 20 watt amp off of Reverb a couple days ago - it just arrived today. I love it!!!! It's solid state and has a 6 inch speaker. I paid $89 for it. It sounds killer! Like an old tweed amp. It was Made in China. I don't care [biggrin]

The Danelectro Dirty Thirty :)

d66d219d34db4a8c832aa5af889c2168.jpg

Sorry Rabs - I didn't realize you owned one of these. I meant no disrespect whatsoever.

Ohh man, not an issue at all.. I actually understand what people are talking about ive just never been that bothered about it personally.

There was only ever one amp I owned where I couldn't get a single sound from it that I liked and that was one of the old Line 6 amps (maybe second generation).. Man that thing was a pile of poop it was one of those, it sounded good in the shop things.. After that I only had a small practice solid state Marshall which was my only amp for years.. that's how little I cared..

For practice at home I just usually plug in to my digital 4 track which has loads of effects built in and 100s of drum loops... Its good enough for me...

Archived