Gibson Brands Forums

James Walsh of Starsailor tonight. Intimate gig by the BBC

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Our very own Flight959 invited me to see James Walsh at a special intimate gig in a pub tonight. It was a brilliant concert. Live music as it should be, with a bar in the same room and only a couple of hundred people.

Thanks Simon, I enjoyed that immensely.

Guest Farnsbarns

They're a band. He's the singer. The BBC are sponsoring load of gigs called The Independent Venues so he played in a small pub known for its live music called The Half Moon, in Putney, London, England, The UK, Earth, The Milky Way, The universe, The multiverse SE14 something or other.

Nice to hear you had a good time, Farns and Flight!

When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought 'Flight would love to have been there" and, lo and behold, he was!......msp_laugh.gif......

The Half-Moon is a great venue for music. I used to go there a l-o-n-g time ago when I lived in Barnes (just a mile or so west of the place).

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Nice to hear you had a good time, Farns and Flight!

When I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought 'Flight would love to have been there" and, lo and behold, he was!......msp_laugh.gif......

The Half-Moon is a great venue for music. I used to go there a l-o-n-g time ago when I lived in Barnes (just a mile or so west of the place).

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

When I first read the post I thought 'well hey, there's nothing wrong with that..."

I have walked down beside the river from Hammersmith bridge to the bridge at Barnes a fair few times Pip - seems like a nice place, which a number of people have also suggested.

Going off-topic for a mo' but yes; Barnes is an oddity in London in that it still feels like a small, self-contained little village yet it's a mere 10 mins by bus from the centre of Hammersmith or 20 mins from Waterloo by train. Latterly I was co-renting a nice place in Second Avenue which had the River Thames at the bottom of the street. We used to sit on the upper-level terrace of The White Hart pub to watch the end-game of the annual Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race pass by (Barnes Bridge is the last bridge of the course).

Ridiculously expensive property prices, of course. Couldn't afford to live there nowadays.

Incidentally The Half-Moon in Putney was the venue where a album bought by 'my' one-time bassist was recorded. "Live From the Half-Moon, Putney" IIRC. It was a strange mix of new-wave and blues but the stand-out track for me was a live performance of 'Sultans of Swing'. I must see if it's still available...

Pip.

EDIT : Hmmm......it seems like that title has been used a few times over the years featuring different artists. Can't find any mention of the one I knew.

Just for fun here's the wiki entry for the Half-Moon. Have a look at the (part) list of bands who have played there! WOW!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Half_Moon,_Putney

I used to travel up to see Morrissey-Mullen there every week I could.

1979 - early 80s. I also saw Richard and Linda Thompson, Pat Metheny, Tal Farlow, Robben Ford, Albert Lee and many others there too.

Wonderful memories.

Archived