Gibson Brands Forums

Is The Schaffer Replica really worth it?

Alco Flower

Okay, first off I know this is not about Gibson in particular but I wanted some opinions. I've been thinking about getting "The Schaffer Replica® ‘Classic’ Pedal by SoloDallas®: TSR4" but once I saw the price tag I cringed [bored] . Is it just a black box with a foot-switch and lots of boost, or will I be able to get a boost pedal for much less that should do the same job? Gear I use a Marshall Haze 15 and a 1994 Gibson SG special and I have a electro harmonix crayon 76 overdrive. I hate the fact that they probable make it for at most $50 and jack the price, and screw people who just can't afford it but who would love to have one. Please let me know, thanks rock on.

Alco Flower

Look into J Rockett Audio Archer, TC Electronic Spark Booster...much less.

You can get the current Klon model for that sort of money.

However the Schaffer one also has a compressor in it which would change the sound - I wonder if it's adjustable inside?

Good luck!

Look into J Rockett Audio Archer, TC Electronic Spark Booster...much less.

You can get the current Klon model for that sort of money.

However the Schaffer one also has a compressor in it which would change the sound - I wonder if it's adjustable inside?

Good luck!

Okay thanks for the info, I will look into that. One thing I could try is get both a boost pedal and a compressor pedal + the Schaffer and see what sounds better to my ears. Then just return either the Schaffer or the 2 pedals. Again thanks.

Alco Flower

I play blues and I have a Visual Sound (now Truetone) Route 66 which is a dual pedal with comp on one side and od on the other, my main od.

Then an Xotic AC+ dual pedal, with one side set for clean boost and the other set for full distortion.

After both of these I have a Boss GE-7.

The compressor is really useful for slide.

Usually I go through a Fender Super 60 on the clean channel; when I use a British amp the response is different and I tweak settings.

http://truetone.com/route-66/

Okay, first off I know this is not about Gibson in particular but I wanted some opinions. I've been thinking about getting "The Schaffer Replica® ‘Classic’ Pedal by SoloDallas®: TSR4" but once I saw the price tag I cringed [bored] . Is it just a black box with a foot-switch and lots of boost, or will I be able to get a boost pedal for much less that should do the same job? Gear I use a Marshall Haze 15 and a 1994 Gibson SG special and I have a electro harmonix crayon 76 overdrive. I hate the fact that they probable make it for at most $50 and jack the price, and screw people who just can't afford it but who would love to have one. Please let me know, thanks rock on.

Alco Flower

The Schaffer Replica®

I would go for the small box model

(It was around $350 a few years ago..and still is..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Schaffer-Replica-Pedal-Authentic-Schaffer-Vega-Diversity-Tone/231691913083?hash=item35f1ea077b:g:wHoAAOSweW5VClcz

new version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solodallas-STORM-Schaffer-Replica-Pedal-Black-Ships-Worldwide/292315939959?hash=item440f634477:g:YhcAAOSweM1Z-6ZN

but if you just don't know it

Solo has built replacement units/towers for Angus Young

and delivered his to him in person

and is the King of the AC/DC tone.

Sources/Reproduces/Builds his amps and guitars to suit

Over the past decade he has made strides at

bringing the 'Back In Black' sound to anyone who dares to accomplish it.

It isn't at a low dollar price

After Solo got his feet off the ground prices went crazy.

Just a few years ago before AC/DC's 'Rock or Bust' and everything surrounding

Angus getting that drive and tone back ...that the Schaffer provided,

these were relatively low cost and easy to own

(sans the few replicas built by Schaffer himself that saw the initial top shelf prices.)

I've read some that if you write Solo Dallas and tell him you

have a need for a unit at a lower cost and give a good reason why he may work with you.

The Schaffer Replica®

I would go for the small box model

(It was around $350 a few years ago..and still is..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Schaffer-Replica-Pedal-Authentic-Schaffer-Vega-Diversity-Tone/231691913083?hash=item35f1ea077b:g:wHoAAOSweW5VClcz

new version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solodallas-STORM-Schaffer-Replica-Pedal-Black-Ships-Worldwide/292315939959?hash=item440f634477:g:YhcAAOSweM1Z-6ZN

but if you just don't know it

Solo has built replacement units/towers for Angus Young

and delivered his to him in person

and is the King of the AC/DC tone.

Sources/Reproduces/Builds his amps and guitars to suit

Over the past decade he has made strides at

bringing the 'Back In Black' sound to anyone who dares to accomplish it.

It isn't at a low dollar price

After Solo got his feet off the ground prices went crazy.

Just a few years ago before AC/DC's 'Rock or Bust' and everything surrounding

Angus getting that drive and tone back ...that the Schaffer provided,

these were relatively low cost and easy to own

(sans the few replicas built by Schaffer himself that saw the initial top shelf prices.)

I've read some that if you write Solo Dallas and tell him you

have a need for a unit at a lower cost and give a good reason why he may work with you.

Okay, interesting. Thanks for the info, I considered contacting Solo Dallas but I assumed they would kinda just blow me off. But if you say there is a chance I may try it. I have no intention to "Screw over" Solo Dallas in any way, I am happy to pay for a unit. But like I noted before if they just jack the price because they can, because that's what Angus uses, that's when I'm like no way. It may take some time to decided what to do. Thanks for the info.

Alco Flower

Archived