Gibson Brands Forums

Matsumoku Emperor: pickuìguard setting

Pefottone

Hi all, I had my Emperor Thinline set up by a luthier. I did a great job, I have to say, but since the action has been lowered, the pickguard is too close to the strings so that I hit it when I play solos and use the 1st e string.

Did anyone of you encounter the same problem and how he fixed it, assumed that I don't wanto to take the pickguard off?

thank you

post-90608-026591000 1520152559_thumb.jpg

+1 Why would he give it back to you like that. The only thing that I could think of is to bend the bracket down a little (after taking it off); to lower the bottom half of it.

Tahnk you all.

The luthier said that's the way the pickguard has been planned to be, i.e., resting on PUs mounting rigs. As far as I understand, that's true. All the Emperor T I saw seem to be like that: for instance https://reverb.com/item/6687122-epiphone-emperor-t-1981-sunburst

As a consequence, it ca not be lowered. The only possible solution is to take the pickguard off. Which could be an option....

Another one is to realize a new pickguard (I don't want to mod the original parts) so that it does not relies on PUs rig and keep the original one apart.

Just wondering if anyone of you has adopted such a solution.

thank you

Strange..

I first thought the pick gaurd should be aside of the rings not on top,, but the PG on my broadway seems like this too.

Something that I should have noticed, before piping up. Apologies.

Tahnk you all.

The luthier said that's the way the pickguard has been planned to be, i.e., resting on PUs mounting rigs. As far as I understand, that's true. All the Emperor T I saw seem to be like that: for instance https://reverb.com/item/6687122-epiphone-emperor-t-1981-sunburst

As a consequence, it ca not be lowered. The only possible solution is to take the pickguard off. Which could be an option....

Another one is to realize a new pickguard (I don't want to mod the original parts) so that it does not relies on PUs rig and keep the original one apart.

thank you

There are several pick guard makers, Terrapin comes to mind, that have templates that you can print off, full size. You could trace out the pick up rings and have them make a guard with bigger pick up cut-outs that would allow lowering. I've had several made, in the past, that were not stock, they did a nice job. That'd give you protection, while keeping the stock guard, stock.

Done. Raising it even further would not be efficient... I will go for a new PG as suggested here below.

Thank you

Yep, that's the obvious and best solution so far as I can see. Good luck!

Tahnk you all.

thank you

this piqued my own curiosity. the Broadway that I have, the pick-guard rests on the pickup ring, like your photo shows. but it doesn't really interfere when it's being played.

my LP, ES135, Regent and Sheraton, the pick-gaurds fit around the pickup rings, and do not rest on them.

Archived