Gibson Brands Forums

Lost and (sometimes) Found...

pippy

In another thread there was some discussion about certain guitars which had 'gone missing' and were sometimes reunited with their owners.

One of the rumours surrounds a '59 Les Paul which was stolen from Ronnie Montrose and which, it is claimed, turned up in the collection of Gary Moore three decades later.

Here's an interesting article outlining the story and for those who like a bit more flesh on their tid-bits the PDF link to the court papers is a worthwhile read!

https://www.straight.com/blogra/guitar-heroes-battle-over-axe-ronnie-montrose-sues-gary-moore-59-les-paul

Clapton's 'Beano' is reputedly in the collection of an East Coast (USA) collector - according to Joe Bonamassa...

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-07-07/joe-bonamassa-eric-clapton-stolen-beano-guitar

...and am I the last person to have heard that Page was finally reunited with his 3-p'up Black Beauty 46 years after it was stolen?

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/jimmy-pages-long-lost-gibson-black-beauty-has-been-found

Anyone with any more stories about lost and found?

Pip.

Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd had a good one, an old Les Paul stolen from him......You have to get through quite a bit to get to the story...

Interesting interview! I had no idea there was so much ill feeling towards Ed King from RVZ.

And a good tale about the guitar, too!

I would bet that the guy who owns the studio on Long Island is the very same guy who, as described in the earlier link, helped Page recover his Black Beauty. Ed King doesn't name him but it's a fair guess it is Perry Margouleff. The book to which King refers is clearly Yas Iwanade's "The Beauty of the 'Burst" and Margouleff is one of those collectors interviewed for the book..

I wonder which 'burst was King's?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

Might be too obvious, but the Paul on the cover of Framp Toon Comes Alive, a record everyone should listen to once a month, was lost for decades and he got it back. I think.

rct

Oh yes, the Jeff Beck one. I forgot!

I once played an Oxblood Les Paul that was a form of Jeff Beckian type thing, I guess from Blow By Blow.

THAT was a guitar that I should have bought right there for full asking. It was just wonderful.

Dammit.

rct

Rick Nielsen stole most of my guitars...

msp_laugh.gif

Did you see this nugget of info from the "Well That's News To Me!" filing cabinet in the link about the 'lost' Beck 'burst?

Come to think of it; it was probably one of yours which Beck bought!...

"According to Beck, he purchased this guitar for "about $300" in 1968, before a gig from Rick Nielsen, the eventual guitarist of Cheap Trick. As amazing as this sounds, Rick was a teenage vintage guitar dealer before he was handling the world-rocking guitar duties for Cheap Trick..."

Pip.

Might be too obvious, but the Paul on the cover of Framp Toon Comes Alive, a record everyone should listen to once a month, was lost for decades and he got it back. I think.

rct

I heard about that as well. And, agreed. That is definitely a record that should be listened to, often. He did a show on Axxess recently and I recorded it. Talk about some good stuff. Wonderful player.

I seriously can not stand that record. I would rather hear him with The Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore.

Bob Mayo Keyboard Bob Mayo

If I had a band that good I'd be screaming their names all night.

rct

1521858687[/url]' post='1925690']

Holy Sh...

Yeah, plus a Chrysler Hemi and extra set of heads for it and a expensive Chevy complete Chevy engine that would have gotten it down in the bottom of the low 8's back then plus a Hemi transmission and other stuff from our garage, so the total cost was well over $60, some thousand.

Archived