Gibson Brands Forums

Luxe bees and Monty's PAFs

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I finally got round to putting my Luxe Bees and Monty's PAFs in my LP. I regret doing both at once but I feel sure the bees Vs the pio Sprague's I had will make no difference at all. I just liked the idea that they look original.

Onto the PAFs. Wow. Now, I'm not going to parade the meaningless discriptives of tone. Suffice to say they are obviously considerably underwound compared to burstbuckers and the difference is as you would expect. Clear with great note separation. Also a smidge more microphonic so I assume wound under less tention too. Through my Marshhall they sound great, a little better than the burstbuckers and pretty good. Through my fender they are simply brilliant! I'm going to get my home made plexi valved up and in running order, then the 5watter I built and try them through those as well. I might even make them safe, probably not, just balanced on the windowsill all hot and trying to kill me will be fine.

Now, I've never A/B'd any of the myriad PAF clones out there and I'm sure others a great but Monty's Vs Burstbuckers, there's no contest. It's beyond subjective. They're just miles better.

Guest Farnsbarns

And another thing...

I can't believe how much my guitar has faded in just 7 years. Quite clearly a different colour under the neck pickup ring.

I finally got round to putting my Luxe Bees and Monty's PAFs in my LP. I regret doing both at once but I feel sure the bees Vs the pio Sprague's I had will make no difference at all. I just liked the idea that they look original.

Onto the PAFs. Wow. Now, I'm not going to parade the meaningless discriptives of tone. Suffice to say they are obviously considerably underwound compared to burstbuckers and the difference is as you would expect. Clear with great note separation. Also a smidge more microphonic so I assume wound under less tention too. Through my Marshhall they sound great, a little better than the burstbuckers and pretty good. Through my fender they are simply brilliant! I'm going to get my home made plexi valved up and in running order, then the 5watter I built and try them through those as well. I might even make them safe, probably not, just balanced on the windowsill all hot and trying to kill me will be fine.

Now, I've never A/B'd any of the myriad PAF clones out there and I'm sure others a great but Monty's Vs Burstbuckers, there's no contest. It's beyond subjective. They're just miles better.

That’s interesting Farns I just replaced the pickups in my SG with Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays and my experience is pretty much identical to yours

I get noticeably more clarity/note separation, a bit lower output, and more microphonics

I’d love to check out those amp builds if you’d like to share (again)

Guest Farnsbarns

Love to hear them. Underwound as compared to which burstbuckers? The Burstbucker 1s were pretty underwound and I thought really clean and articulate that would dirty up nicely.

Comparing to the BB 1 and 2.

You will most certainly get to play it when you come in summer.

I'll ping you an email by the way.

That’s interesting Farns I just replaced the pickups in my SG with Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays and my experience is pretty much identical to yours

I get noticeably more clarity/note separation, a bit lower output, and more microphonics

I’d love to check out those amp builds if you’d like to share (again)

About the same experience I had when replacing my Burstbuckers with a WCR Crossroads set. [thumbup]

BTW, a great tip for the microphonics.... stick a piece of foam behind the pickups. The foam that comes in pickups boxes is perfect.

Archived