Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Kalamazoo KG-11

vw1300

Just got this in - late '30s or so KG-11. Got it from Chicago Music Exchange who did a neck reset so the action is very good with plenty of saddle. No visible cracks in the top or back but lots of scratches - it's a player. Weighs less than 3 lbs and a lot of that is the neck! But what shocked me is the sound - surprisingly punchy and airy for a small ladder-braced guitar. Less boxy sounding than I thought it would be but I like it.

40603598560_bc26188a72.jpg

42361550622_e1a00221ff.jpg

40603598520_6deec47635.jpg

Beautiful! I’ve loved these ever since I met Bill Sheffield and heard what he pulled out of his...blues and just about everything else under the sun. Superb and surprisingly versatile!

Congrats! If I recall Gibson switched from the flat headstock to the peaked roof in the mid-1930s. Those made in 1935 are easy distinguish because they had a rope binding around the soundhole.

I have had Kalamazoos, Recording Kings, Capitals and such pass through over the decades. I am not sure though why many expect ladder braced 00s and concerts to sound boxy. I am guessing they are basing it on the all-birch Harmony Stellas. I have an early 1930s Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo that is an amazing sounding guitar and remains my favorite ladder braced instrument.

Archived