Gibson Brands Forums

Transponder chip in Historic Guitars?

TC5

I read that Historic guitars are fitted with a "transponder" chip that can be scanned to identify the guitar. Could that chip be used to identify a guitar in the event that is was stolen? If so that's a pretty good thing to track stolen gear.

Apparently there's a chip in all Historic instruments made since 2000 as stated here:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Features/219%2Dgibson%2Dcustom/

"the transponders can be used to foil counterfeiters and thieves. If somebody’s trying to sell a guitar, it can be scanned to see if it belongs to another owner, is a genuine Gibson, or is a vintage guitar or a reproduction"

I would like to hear more about how it is scanned. And could it be tracked at all?...

Yes.

The level of help Gibson is willing to offer is not what I was expecting,

or needed. The idea to include this chip is pure genius. Their willingness

to care for, and share information is practically non-existent. Very nice

people, who are either unable, or unwilling to do anything for you.

I sincerely hope that if you should need this service from Gibson, you

find your experience better than mine.

Denny – The RFID is passive. No power is needed. It reacts to their scanning device.

It's a lot like the large rice-grain sized transponder that the vet sells (genius marketing, the company donated the scanners to the local animal shelters so people would buy the chip knowing that their pet could be identified if it winds up in the shelter). Used by zoologists now instead of ID bands to track animals. There is no battery in it. Same technology as an EZ Pass but it won't work if you hold your cat up to the windshield at the toll gate.

Now more to the point, delaware, did you take your guitar to an authorized service center to verify it or was it that they couldn't find anyone who had the scanner?

Now more to the point' date=' delaware, did you take your guitar to an authorized service

center to verify it or was it that they couldn't find anyone who had the scanner?[/quote']

Without getting into all the boring details…Just reading the chip code

doesn’t do you any good if Gibson is not willing or able to tell you which

chip code went with which guitar. The only way the information is

meaningful, is if you know that guitar serial number X XXXX has chip

code XXXXXXX embedded in it. If Gibson is unable or unwilling to tell

you that information, then just knowing the guitar has a chip in it, is of very

little value. Or at least it was in my case.

Try calling Lojack and ask them to tell you the secreat ocation that their installers are supposed to put the unit so you can find it in your car. They'll probably react the same way.

Sorry but I just don't see how you could expect Gibson to give out the very information that makes the feature valuable - only Gibson knows what code should be there and only they can authenticate the instrument. Now it would be nice if they offered to keep a registry and donated the scanners to all the police department property rooms. But that's not what it's for.

Just reading the chip code

doesn’t do you any good if Gibson is not willing or able to tell you which

chip code went with which guitar. The only way the information is

meaningful' date=' is if you know that guitar serial number X XXXX has chip

code XXXXXXX embedded in it. [/b']

If someone had the guitar in their hands to read the chip code they certainaly could have read the serial number. This doesn't seem to be a problem with policy, but a problem with procedure. Don't you know the serial number of your own (presumably lost) guitar. Don't you watch CSI.

If you really want any help here, I WOULD furnish the details. Otherwise your just another poster whining about a hypothetical situation.

Details please, or maybe not.

Let me ask you this hypothetical question;

If a scam artist took a 2005 Guitar Center G0 which they bought new for

$2,695.00, to a Luthier of questionable Ethics and Morals, and had them

refinish the guitar into a guitar with a 2003 Brazilian range Serial Number R0.

Then the scam artist sold you the guitar as a 2003 Brazilian Fretboard R0,

for $8000.00.

Could you take the guitar to Nashville, and have the Gibson Custom Shop

scan the chip and tell you, yes the Chip Code in this Gibson guitar is the genuine

2003 Brazilian Fretboard R0, Serial Number 0 3xxx.

Or no, the Chip Code in this guitar is a a different Code Number, and this guitar

is a fake?

Guy's trying to beat up Delawaregold..............He has VERY personal knowledge of this process.

In this case, he has been there and done that..........the outcome was VERY shocking and down right irresponsible.

BTW, the ID chip doesn't store the serial number........it stores a code that is linked to a serial number.......

Archived