Gibson Brands Forums

Another loss

jdgm

Master drummer Jon Hiseman passed away in the early hours of June 12th; he had been suffering from a brain tumour.

Hiseman came to prominence with John Mayall ("Bare Wires") and started Colosseum when Mayall broke the band up.

Colosseum featured D*ck Heckstall-Smith, Clem Clempson (who replaced James Litherland) on guitar and later Chris Farlowe on vocals.

I was fortunate enough to see them several times, including twice in this century; one of the best live acts I have ever seen.

When Clempson was asked to join Humble Pie, Hiseman immediately accepted that his guitarist couldn't pass the offer up and that led to the break-up of Colosseum.

However Hiseman returned with Tempest (featuring Allan Holdsworth) then Gary Moore in Colosseum II, and after that spent years in his wife Barbara Thompson's band - Paraphernalia.

He was persuaded to reform Colosseum in 1994 and they played their final gig in 2015.

His most recent project - apart from his biography - is the trio JCM; Jon, Clem, Mark (Clarke). The CD has only just been released.

Hiseman is also the only drummer I can think of who has released a CD of drum solos - nothing else at all, just drum solos.

One of the very best; a great player and bandleader, he will be sorely missed.

RIP Jon, God bless you and thank you so much for the music which enriched my and many other lives.

Archived