Gibson Brands Forums

Bye Bye Dark Fire!

Guitareal

I just cancelled my order.

I couldn't finally take the wait and the frustration that something on the guitar could be faulty upon delivery. In addition, service and parts that the guitar may need, even not on delivery, but surely some time after, would be HELL where i live.

Of course i am buying another Gibson though! I am thinking of one of the below:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/lespaulpush%2Dtone/

due to the ability of quick exchanging of pick-ups ( i will try to manually simulate the chameleon tone tech. of DF lol!)and overall great specs (i like ebony fretboard!)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Gary-Moore-BFG.aspx

which has been already discussed in other topics. It shares generally the basic specs. with the DF, without any technology of course.

Last but not least, a standard LP 2008

http://www.thomann.de/gr/gibson_les_paul_standard_2008_db.htm

Sorry for being out of subject here, but i 'd like the views of the "experts" (you know who you are!) on buying the replacement for DF. Probably this is the last topic I create in this forum... =P~(((

Thanks!

Hi Guitareal!

Sorry that you did cancel your order. If the things continue like that i think you will not be the last. The Les Paul Push Tones has many similarities with my Les Paul GT => The ebony fingerboard, the output jack neutrik, the nickel Grover roto grip tuners.

Guitareal,

I'm sorry you've made this decision, although I can certainly understand why. You've been a staunch supporter and contributor on this forum; Gibson has unfortunately lost a Dark Fire ally. Their attitude and (lack of) PR, especially toward our European friends, just plain sucks! Nonetheless, I'm glad you're considering buying another type of Gibson LP; you've enumerated some great choices. As you move forward, will you please direct us to your future forum, and keep us informed of your eventual choice and reason for making it? I, for one, am most interested in the process of your choice of replacement, as well as your ultimate resolution. In the best of all worlds, perhaps we'll find you back here with a new Dark Fire after all. Best wishes!

I just cancelled my order.

I couldn't finally take the wait and the frustration that something on the guitar could be faulty upon delivery.

I am sorry for your decision, Guitareal.

The silence of the Gibson, not helping us to support the DF's project.

The real shame is that you wont be able to try the DF against these other guitars.

I would be interested to hear the difference between the DF and the 2008 standard, and the playability.

I'm really surprised that Gibson havent contacted the European "owners". I've got £400 deposit down on something that has no delivery date and I've now been waiting 3 months.

I just had a conspiracy theorist moment... Maybe they don't want to sell at the price tag you booked your unit and hence delaying the whole bejeesus out of the release and hence forcing you all to cancel orders. When majority of the orders at the old figure are cancelled guitars get released, people buy them at current price tag, current currency conversion levels etc. World peace at last. Am I loosing the plot? ;-)

Guitareal, sorry to hear you giving up but I can truly understand. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Perhaps its best not to make a quick decision and sit on the sidelines for a while and see which way this thing goes. Keep well!

Thanks everyone, i feel i have made some friends here...

Concerning the chosen alternative guitar. I made up my mind and already ordered:

Gibson LP PUSH-TONE:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/lespaulpush%2Dtone/

I chose the specific guitar for the following reasons:

- I wanted a GIBSON LP type model (please don't ask me to explain why)

- Good wood quality for body and neck (mahogany) and a nice sound fretboard (ebony)

- At least Acceptable finish on body and neck

- Options for tone. Ability to experiment with different pick-ups and combinations (i like to think of it as a "manual chameleon tone functionality" :-& [ DF is haunting me])

The guitar of course is missing any technology included in DF, auto-tuning, piezo blending, RIP, software BUT i think that strictly instrument-wise the Push Tone is better. Here are the complete specs sheet:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/GOTM/LesPaulPush-Tone/specs/

Being a gadget freak myself, i will surely miss the technology that initially drove me to buy the DF. Not much i can do about it though, since sooner or later the DF WILL need some service and/or replacement parts and i most probably will not be supported (at least not without months of waiting and having the guitar travel miles and miles)

Unfortunately, i can rely only on theory as i cannot get a grip of the guitars before buying (i envy you US players!!!!)

I am not trying to make people loose faith on the DF here (although Gibson team does not help much in the opposite direction). If i lived in US i wouldn't give up on the DF, so FWIW what i write here is intended mostly for non-US players and specifically for those, like me, who cannot take much risk and insecurity vs. the money spent...

Regards

Hi Guitareal,

Join the club, I cancelled on Saturday. It's not that Gibson are doing anything "wrong", it's that they're doing "nothing" for us European customers.

Had a look at the pushtone, looks nice, good choice. My search is on hold for the time being.

Kevvo

Unfortunately, i can rely only on theory as i cannot get a grip of the guitars before buying (i envy you US players!!!!)

Where I live, there are no local stores that carry the guitars I want to buy.

Last ten years I have purchased MANY guitars - all mail order including Dark Fire.

Some are Are :

Gretsch G6120SSU (Ebay)$2500

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6120SSU&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

Gretsch ProJet w/ Bigsby (Ebay) $500

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G5238&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

Gretsch Historic Series Rancher (EBAY) $300

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G5022C&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

SX SJM-62 Tremolo (Rondo Music) (for my Surf Band) $130

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjm62.html

DiPinto Galaxie IV ( Seattle Craigslist) ( more surf band) $400

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/guitars_galaxie4.html

Yamaha Troy Van Leeeuwen (Ebay)$400

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60169%252526CTID%25253D600012,00.html

Rogue Lipstick $99 (Musicians Friend)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Lipstick-Electric-Guitar-?sku=511843

i'm still wondering if i should cancel, however my reasons are entirely different. i only ordered a couple of weeks ago so the wait or lack of info ain't driving me mad yet ... also given the current cashflow situation, the later it comes the better (didn't have to put a deposit down on it) and hopefully the later it comes, the less flaws and lack of quality control it will have.

my main worries are in the quality department, when i ordered i didn't quite understand that the 'guitar' part was built a bit on the cheap, and what i certainly didn't expect is the amount of quality problems.

i'm also not amused at all by the picture-switch stunt on the Gibson site ... i did really fall 'visually' in love with this guitar (i mean the ne on the previous gibson site) .. the fact that they silently retouched the photos to get rid of the flamed-maple is really a scandal. i realy don't want a DF like Brookfloyds (sorry didn't wanna rub it in but i was realy shocked when i saw this one), i want one like the one on the initial DF site !!!

so i just realised that i'm after all considering to cancel for the same reasons as you guys: Gibson ... no matter how great it comes back from an RMA, i think if i have to pay so much (for me it's really a lot for a guitar), wait so long and then receive one which doesn't even resemble the one i first fell in love with, and then have to send it back just when i receive it only to wait another very long time ... not sure i can handle this

but strangely, i am still convinced that this would be one hell of a guitar to own ... decisions, decisions ...

I never imagined I just got lucky to actually get one that looked like the advert.

although i didn't buy a lot of guitars i've seen quite a lot up close ... it's i think the first time i ever see (i realize i haven't actually 'seen' one) a guitar of this price that doesn't look as nice as the ad .. usually the real object is actually much more beautifull than on a photo/website ... it's the case for most PRS guitars i've seen (and some LP's as well ...)

just recently i was contemplating buying a accoustic Brazilian Rosewood Yairi ... a friend called and told me he had one (he knew i've been lookin to buy a rosewood accoustic for years) .. i googled the model and after reading up and seeing a ton of pictures of this model i dragged my feet to the shop to go see it ... i was once again very pleasently surprised how much nicer the guitar looked from up close in the shop than anything i'd seen on the web about it (including the pictures ont the Yairi sites) ...

Guitareal, the guitar you ordered is beautiful and it does have sum different and nice capabilities with it. I wish you good luck and I enjoyed your company.

Kevvo, good luck to you also and come check on us from time to time !

Take care guys !

Guitareal' date=' the guitar you ordered is beautiful and it does have sum different and nice capabilities with it. I wish you good luck and I enjoyed your company.

Kevvo, good luck to you also and come check on us from time to time !

Take care guys ![/quote']

O:) thanks man! i m not going to stay away from this forum though, it's been two months of waiting and sharing opinions and frustration on the DF, so i can't let go. I m still very interested in the DF project and would like to see it have success... and then who knows? maybe we 'll start all over discussing about the Robot III :)

Edit: by the way, how could i stay away, since whenever i see you avatar (and elantric's previous one) makes me order the DF back :^o

We should ask him to evaluate the auto-intonation on the DarkFire. Wonder how close it is out of the box! That aside, sounds like an amazing guy to know. Thanks for sharing.

Now how does that Testarossa feel when pulling a 0 to 60?

I know amps are out of the question but can he even fit his bass in the car?

Oh well, back on topic...

Thank you for that info, Elantric, and for those links. Although initially taken somewhat by surprise by the left-handed instruments in the video, I got it sorted out pretty quickly. Rick's website is most informative; fascinating, actually (he may wish to re-proofread the copy, though, re: ration vs. ratio, etc.). He seems like a very interesting and knowledgeable person! I like MCK's suggestion re: DF auto-intonation; any chance?

Thanks again for the insight; please wish him our best! And best to you, too!

Sorry to hear of the DF disappointment Guitareal

I like the LP Push Tone. It appealed to me with its natural finish and unusual ebony fingerboard with maple marker inlays - kind of an understated elegance. I also found the easily interchangable pickups appealing to my interest in tonal variations. Gibson did a great job with the guitar - it plays fantastic and the pickup change is really easy. I'm hoping they might offer one or two more pickup sets - probably not though due to the limited production run. The single coil P-94s are a blast to play with. I snagged one at musicians friend after they dropped the price to $1999 - I see GC and 123 have now followed suit. Hope you find what yer lookin for.

Archived