Gibson Brands Forums

Buc’s Sunrise has landed in the UK!

Jinder

Good luck finding more Sunrises! Scarce, unless Buc has some more. Shoreline Music seems to the only ones....

Did you fiddle with adjusting the pole pieces, Jinder? I was advised to try removing 1 and 2 string pole pieces on my Baggs M80 to stop the strings being too loud and adjusted the other poles right down to get a more woody sound. And I am amazed at the difference. Love it. (depends on the guitar geometry, some soundholes are closer to the strings.)

I mentioned it to a friend with the Baggs M1 passive and he has just told me he loves it now....was about to remove the pickup before........

BluesKing777.

I had to do a full reset on the polepieces of the Sunrise as Buc is a Southpaw and had the polepieces set up accordingly. I had to dial down the E and B poles a long way, but the balance is absolutely perfect now. The problem i’ve had with every other mag i’ve owned is balance, the plain strings have always rung out too much and made them sound clacky, but the Sunrise has no such problems. The bottom end on it is spectacular too, which is a quality I’ve never heard enough of in any of the Fishman mags I’ve owned. The Takamine Tri-Ax (basically a black M1A) was a very good pickup, but the Sunrise has some kind of extra magic to it that I can’t really define.

• 1 month later...

A wee update a month on...I’m still absolutely over the moon with the Sunrise. All my other guitars sound a bit “meh” plugged in, in comparison.

As an experiment, when I restrung prior to last night’s gig, I lowered all the polepieces by one turn. It reduced the output a touch, but sweetened the tone one notch further and has made it sound incredibly natural and acoustic. The touch sensitivity and responsiveness of the Sunrise still blows my mind, perhaps it’s the specific combination of the AJ and the pickup, but it’s just superb.

A wee update a month on...I’m still absolutely over the moon with the Sunrise. All my other guitars sound a bit “meh” plugged in, in comparison.

As an experiment, when I restrung prior to last night’s gig, I lowered all the polepieces by one turn. It reduced the output a touch, but sweetened the tone one notch further and has made it sound incredibly natural and acoustic. The touch sensitivity and responsiveness of the Sunrise still blows my mind, perhaps it’s the specific combination of the AJ and the pickup, but it’s just superb.

All this talk of sunrise is giving me GAS! Anyways, Jinder - how are you plugging this in, do you have it set up to plug in through a guitar strap output jack or do you hang a cable out the sound hole? Also, if you hook the output jack through the guitar strap button, does it mean the pickup needs to be permanently installed in the guitar?

appreciate any input. Also, what models are we talking about, I see Sunrise S2 on reverb for about $370 US

Rgds- billroy

All this talk of sunrise is giving me GAS! Anyways, Jinder - how are you plugging this in, do you have it set up to plug in through a guitar strap output jack or do you hang a cable out the sound hole? Also, if you hook the output jack through the guitar strap button, does it mean the pickup needs to be permanently installed in the guitar?

appreciate any input. Also, what models are we talking about, I see Sunrise S2 on reverb for about $370 US

Rgds- billroy

Mine is a permanent install, with the jack socket installed in the endpin hole of the guitar, as the Baggs Element that came factory installed in the guitar was. There’s a cable available from Sunrise though which enables the pickup to be installed with the endpin jack, but has a break connector in the wire which allows the pickup to be taken out and used in other guitars which are fitted with the same internal cable.

It’s a bit of a compromise though, as the Sunrise is very sensitive to polepiece height/string proximity, and once it’s in the sweet spot with one guitar, it may not be with another. It always sounds GOOD mind you...but when it’s dialled in just so, there’s very little that can hold a candle to it, if you like the feel and response of soundhole pickups.

Mine is a permanent install, with the jack socket installed in the endpin hole of the guitar, as the Baggs Element that came factory installed in the guitar was. There’s a cable available from Sunrise though which enables the pickup to be installed with the endpin jack, but has a break connector in the wire which allows the pickup to be taken out and used in other guitars which are fitted with the same internal cable.

It’s a bit of a compromise though, as the Sunrise is very sensitive to polepiece height/string proximity, and once it’s in the sweet spot with one guitar, it may not be with another. It always sounds GOOD mind you...but when it’s dialled in just so, there’s very little that can hold a candle to it, if you like the feel and response of soundhole pickups.

I have good news and bad news for you, Jinder.

You only have half the goodies - the Sunrise buffer box preamp has what one famous guitarist called “magic in there”.

And before you sell the Baggs M80, it sounds great as well in passive mode through the Sunrise buffer box! A bit prettier than the Sunrise pickup... I found out because my Sunrise doesn’t fit easily to my Cargill but the M80 does, and I ran it to the Sunrise buffer.

I got the mono buffer box, but a lot of people use the Sunrise pickup AND a K&K installed to the endplug with a stereo cable to the stereo Sunrise buffer box. (I have run both to a channel each of my little mixer to get more controls, sounds superb but I am happy with the Sunrise on its own.)

BluesKing777.

Archived