Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Emmanuel guitar

livemusic

What kind of guitar is this? It appears to be a somewhat thinner body than a dread. Guitar sounds so good to me. He's such a delightful personality!

Also, it's an Aussie Maton brand, what American made guitars are somewhat equivalent? Thanks!

(This is cued up deep into his 'lesson' where he plays Freight Train.)

https://youtu.be/Xm2ODiNUhac?t=727

I consider Maton guitars to be in a league of their own. Just as Tommy Emmanuel is in a league of his own.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Have you ever played one? Are they considered a great brand by most, do they have a great reputation for sound? I don't know much about them because they don't get much traction in the U.S.

I have a Collings that is shaped kinda like his guitar and my Collings *is* a really good guitar.

You are right, TE has incredible fingers, a virtuoso, so, that is likely a lot of it.

In my opinion, Matons are considered high end handmade boutique guitars as opposed to high end guitars such as Gibson, Martin, and Taylor that are more or less for the masses. Gibson custom shop guitars are marketed to be somewhere in between, although sometimes it’s just a marketing approach. Collings are equivalent to Gibson’s custom shop guitars in terms of marketing. Not boutique guitars, like Matons. Handmade small luthier guitars fall into the same space as Matons, although Matons are likely more well known (from Tommy Emmanuel playing them.)

Just my perspective. Others, I am sure have theirs.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Never played a Maton. From what I've read over on the AGF the consensus is they sound great plugged in, but no so good acoustically. Worth pointing out that Tommy's guitars are all made in the Maton custom shop. Again just what I have read and they aren't easy to find here in the USA.

All the Matons I played were great guitar but of course due to their design and tonewoods they sound very different from an American guitar like Martin, Guild or Gibson, I assume this is the reason why they are not popular in the US that is also a tough market for high end European guitars like Lakewood, Avalon, McIlroy etc...

Tommy Emmanuel plays a hand made Maton Custom Shop 808, which is a deep body 00 size.

Maton make a whole range of models like Martin and Gibson do - cheap all the way up to expensive with an E! (Like anything, you get what you pay for.)

Here is Tommy E talking shop:

Here is a promo video for Maton:

Artisan Guitars (USA) has a few Matons for sale:

https://artisanguitars.com/catalog/brand/maton-5093/status/in_stock

BluesKing777.

Archived