Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Montana Division

Billy C.

Thanks for that reply, 'FZ'! I am aware that they have been in Montana since early on, around the time the facility first became operational. In fact, I've personally had contact with several of the folks who used to be there but they have long since retired or otherwise have moved on.

I currently own a 1993 Gibson acoustic and also one built in 2011. But I have fallen out of touch with the folks I used to know there and am just wondering if anyone knows how the Montana acoustic division has been affected by the various 'stresses' associated with Gibson, during recent years if at all??? You did answer my basic question but only partially. If that is the extent of what you do know regarding the situation there, please understand I appreciate your response nonetheless!

Perhaps someone else might be willing to furnish a little more 'detailed' information, regarding the overall health of Gibson's Montana acoustic facility.

Does anyone know for certain.... if they are still producing Gibson's acoustic guitar line there???

Bozeman does not seem to have been affected. At least, I know for certain that they have produced at least one fabulous and superb 2018 Songwriter Rosewood Burst 12-string.... msp_thumbup.gif

son513-2.jpg

son518.jpg

Hi Billy,

Gibson Montana started way back in 1989. They are doing just fine. Yes many have retired and some moved on but the spirit and the fire still lives on in the hearts of those who still go to work every day.

They are getting ready for the "Winter NAMM" show and there is a buzz of optimism. They really do enjoy showing their guitars and introducing new models.

The management in Montana hasn't changed since to "New" company took over. I would guess that they are using the approach of if it isn't broke don't fix it.

They still have a full staff of folks. About 100. They are actively seeking qualified help so if you know anyone looking for work have them check the website.

There are a lot of challenges with shipping internationally and the like but they are overcoming them and it doe seem to be getting better.

It's going to be a very good year for Gibson Montana.

Hogeye

Hi Billy,

Gibson Montana started way back in 1989. They are doing just fine. Yes many have retired and some moved on but the spirit and the fire still lives on in the hearts of those who still go to work every day.

They are getting ready for the "Winter NAMM" show and there is a buzz of optimism. They really do enjoy showing their guitars and introducing new models.

The management in Montana hasn't changed since to "New" company took over. I would guess that they are using the approach of if it isn't broke don't fix it.

They still have a full staff of folks. About 100. They are actively seeking qualified help so if you know anyone looking for work have them check the website.

There are a lot of challenges with shipping internationally and the like but they are overcoming them and it doe seem to be getting better.

It's going to be a very good year for Gibson Montana.

Hogeye

Hey many thanks, Hogeye for that informed and highly reassuring response...yeah, that is such good news! I cherish both my Gibson acoustics, a 1993 black-on-black J-180 'Everly' and a 2011 J-160E 'Lennon' natural finish Peace model. Although one is purely acoustic and designed for rhythm and the other designed to be amplified more or less for stage, they both play and sound amazing and continue to perform their varying assigned tasks above par. What yields genuine, additional pride of ownership is the way Gibson built them to be some serious 'good lookers' as well, referring to the generous compliments the handsome pair have always received. So they both are loved and enjoyed.

Archived