Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Melody Makers (single cutaway)

VintageMM

Hello

I find myself increasingly drawn to Gibson Melody Makers but there have been many variants over the years. Can anybody recommend a definitive resource on Melody Maker history? The Wikipedia entry is pretty good but doesn't say much for the quality of the various iterations.

I'm exclusively interested in single cutaway models as that body shape just floats my boat.

As far as modern Melody Makers go the 2003-2006 model seems to be a sweet spot with the additional Tune-o-matic bridge and dog-eared P90. Any advance on that?

I know very little about vintage Melody Makers in particular. As they were always budget instruments to some degree I imagine one has to be cautious. I have a '65 Fender Musicmaster II and whilst it has a gorgeous neck I'd say the electrics and body are pretty much consistent with its origins as a student model.

Of the vintage Melody Makers which represent good value for money? As a players instrument, not an investment instrument. Are vintage Melody Makers even worth conisdering, do they have any voodoo/mojo or are they sadly just old, budget instruments that haven't weathered well through the years?

Finally, how are the Melody Makers related to the Les Paul Jrs? They certainly have cosmetic similarities.

Thanks

Jim

Can anybody recommend a definitive resource on Melody Maker history?

Not really but this site is always a help: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson5.html#melody

Of the vintage Melody Makers which represent good value for money?

Any of them. I've never played a bad one. I rehabilitated a junk 1964. The only metal left on it was the frets and truss rod. I gave it the Cadillac treatment, Schallers, Dimarzio Super Distortion, gold Schaller fine tuner bridge, all gold hardware, spared no expense. It was one of the best playing guitars I ever owned. Yes, I dumped a bunch of money into it but it had to be good to begin with. Bling didn't fix anything. It was spot on from Day One.

Are vintage Melody Makers even worth conisdering

Always

Finally, how are the Melody Makers related to the Les Paul Jrs?

The Melody Makers have much thinner bodies and also the narrower headstock. They were also more likely to be seen in a 3/4 scale for young players. They truly were an entry level Gibson that just happened to be rock solid, legit, and viable 60 years later.

• Upvote 1

Not really but this site is always a help: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson5.html#melody

Great, thanks!

Any of them. I've never played a bad one.

Good to hear!

The Melody Makers have much thinner bodies and also the narrower headstock.

Ah yes, I see that now looking at some images. Love the narrow headstock and skinny body.

The early Melody Maker's usually had the narrow headstock, the skinny body, small single coil pickups with single cut or sometimes a double cut body and once in a while an SG style body. They did not come with Humbucker's, but a few P-90's did come much later. Melody Makers were usually routed out on the top for wiring covered by the pick guard with no access plate on the back. Also had a bulky neck joint. They normally had a 24 3/4" scale neck that played unusually well for an inexpensive guitar. Because of the low cost of these it was not unusual to have all kinds of extreme mods done to them including wiring, pickups, tremolo's, body and neck reshaping and homemade refinish. In addition note that there was a lot of variation in the production models which sometimes included Epiphone, Edwards and few SG body Kalamazoo's with bolt on necks.

The early single cut and double cut both used the same style neck joint.

gibson_melody_maker_1961_2pu_neck_detail_1.jpg

Kalamazoo SG style Melody Maker.

guitare_66408621174.JPG

60's single cut MM..

CKlsPCH.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

The name Melody Maker seems to be some sort of code for 'Entry Level' Guitar @ GIBSON USA....I've seen SG's that were called Melody Maker's and some that looked like Les Paul's that said Melody Maker on them and they all had the same narrow Head-Stock which was how I could tell it was a Melody Maker and that someone had not just slapped a plastic plate that said 'Melody-Maker' on a few I considered buying used.

The one that I really actually wanted to purchase new was the 'Joan Jett' Signature model Melody-Maker, but I waited too long and it was sold out...this was back years ago and I was not too upset that I did not get one, was kind of a chicks Guitar n e way...... BUT, I have not seen to many 'Melody-Makers' during the 2000's, IDK but it seems as GIBSON USA has started making a line called the 'S' Series or the ZERO Models (Great Name for a POS Guitar!) or some $#!T like that and they may have replaced the good ol' MM's,IDK........I stopped tryin to figure out GIBSON decades ago........

I have a 1961 double-cut that's had a fairly tough life but has the original Pots and pickup (it's the single pickup model).

On the plus side - super light weight so easy on the shoulder, made by the same people who were building SGs at the time from the same wood that people rave about these days, nitro finish etc, and I guess it's a talking piece and a bit punk...and it was very cheap.

On the minus side - pickup is kind of feeble and not too pleasant, though roll off the tone and it does a reasonable acoustic impression, and I really don't like the neck into body joint at all (see pic posted earlier in the thread). It neck dived with the heavy tuners that were on it when I got it but back to original lightweight buttons and that was cured.

Not a bad thing, especially for the money...and I guess it gets me in the Gibson 'club', but it's no LP Jr.

PS..they were made in a 3/4 early on as an option but I'd suggest a big majority sold were full sized.

PPS.. the Epiphone Olympic Special was basically exactly the same guitar in quality and look.

Edited by 'Scales

• 1 year later...

485023419_2004MM-1.thumb.jpg.54d48b489427ea593e1260b59c37a322.jpgI have a 2004 Gibson Melody Maker I picked up at a pawn shop of all places and I picked it up for a couple Ben Franklins. It came stock with a P90 pickup and a TOM bridge (as did all 03-06's) so it intonates easily compared to the traditional one part bridge. What drew me to the guitar was first the quality of the rosewood fretboard (thick and beautiful) and then the way the guitar vibrated in my hands when it was unplugged. After noodling on it for awhile I plugged it in and was blown away by the tone. I was in the market for a LP Jr. but this is pretty much one of those without the bookend headstock and fancy finish. My guitar is black with a mild sheen. Perhaps the least good looking axe I have really but with all that resonant mojo it was a steal. Now these 03-06 years are getting the wind they deserve as the non-traditional woods they used (cedar??) are part of the mystique and why they sound so good. Price is going up to market of 8 bills to a grand with used sales of around 6 to 8 bills for them. Opportunity to get one is quickly vaporizing now that the word is out. Glad I have one of them.

Edited by SWARM