Gibson Brands Forums

Bellied up tops. Can it be stopped?

Dynadude

Have you ever had an acoustic that got a belly swell under the bridge? You know, it makes the bridge tilt and rise up, making the guitar almost useless.

I have had a couple do that, over the years. Never had a Gibson acoustic, so I don't know if they are prone to this particular ailment.

Has anyone found a way to keep this from happening? Maybe a special insert in the case that puts pressure over the bridge area, or something similar?

I think all my 'flattops' have some swelling in the bridge area- mostly behind the bridge. Never looked too close or let it concern me. (Should I? Why is ol Hoss always the last to know!!) It always struck me as something that guitars were supposed to do.

I suppose if a brace comes loose, you could end up with problems. So If you're concerned, I'd have someone who knows (i.e.- NOT ol Hoss) check it out to see if there's an issue. A perfectly flat top ain't natural.

My 15 year old Taylor is the only guitar I have had longer than a few years. It has no issues at all. I am very good about humidification and take excellent care of my wood & steel beauties. I also keep 12-54 gauge strings on all of mine too. Playing mostly fingerstyle helps as I rarely need or use a pick and they are not subject to aggressive strumming. I'm not too concerned about any of them developing a problem, but if they do, I have the best repair guy around right here at the Podium in Minneapolis so I will be OK... =P~

A perfectly flat top ain't natural.

I agree, especially with regard to older guitars. Guitars, like people, get a little bit of a belly as they grow mature. I have an ol SJ that has a little belly to it. It plays and sounds great so I don't worry about it.

But if, as in your situation, it's so bad it can't be played, I'd certainly get it looked at. You aren't using some super-heavy gauge of strings are you?

Had a 59 J-50 that would put on a couple of lbs and a little belly in the summer but lose it in the drier winter months. Sounded better in low humidity as most geets tend to. No biggee as it did not represent structural issues.... just lost some tummy tone as most of us from the 50's do.

Archived