Gibson Brands Forums

Easy Binding solution

YahliP

i have an idea how to apply binding very easy to any epiphone guitar

what do u think about this product

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Supply-White-Markers-Medium/dp/B01NBNMJIR/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=PEN+OIL+BASED+MARKER&qid=1552945845&s=gateway&sr=8-4

does any one try it ? or i should be the first one to buy and use on guitar :-)

Thanks,

Yahli.

no - i think it can be used as binding for F holes.

I think it could look ok to paint the inside edges of unbound f-holes black- but that would be easier with a small brush. I wouldn't try painting any kind of "binding" line on the outside edge- no matter how careful you are, it will look like crap. You can't paint a line as sharp as scraped binding.

In the mid 80s I had a 1955 ES-295 that was a basket case. I refinished it (okay). It got passed around a couple years until I traded it even for a 1967(?) ES-335. Someone had painted the 335 a deep maroon, deeper than the typical Gibson wine red. They painted it binding and all. I did some research and turned out a friend had owned it and sanded it too vigorously....ruining some of the binding, ergo the paint job. Nowadays we would have just called it a 335 Studio of some sort. I stripped it and determined the binding was indeed too far gone. I traded it off and the next guy painted it Chuck Berry Red and added pinstriping tape for binding. What a mess. It looked fine from 20 feet away. Until a few gigs later when the tape started peeling off. In retrospect, it should have been left with the gloppy maroon paint job and played with reckless abandon.

In 1984 I bought a '67 Fender Coronado that had been painted red with a splash of gold glitter. My intention was to strip it to natural and clearcoat it. But the stripper softened the binding and the red paint bled into it. So I had a stripped-to-blonde body with pink binding. I masked it off and painted a topcoat of white onto the binding and then clearcoated the whole thing. Looked fine.

In the winter of 1986-87 I was unemployed with zero money coming in. I heated the house with a kerosene heater because I had no oil for the furnace. I ended up with the Coronado body again, which someone had begun sanding. The neck was long gone, added to a Strat body (another story). I had a 1963 Jaguar neck, the Coronado body, which I painted black, one P90, one PAF humbucker (yes I know it would pay off my mortgage now), a floating 60s Japanese bridge and a tailpiece. I rigged up pots and a switch and made it work. It was a mongrel but it played. And looked kinda cool in a goth rockabilly way. I sold it for $150 and that money made that month's house payment with enough left over to buy a bag of groceries.

I don't miss the 'good old days'. I was scared a lot.

I think it could look ok to paint the inside edges of unbound f-holes black- but that would be easier with a small brush. I wouldn't try painting any kind of "binding" line on the outside edge- no matter how careful you are, it will look like crap. You can't paint a line as sharp as scraped binding.

Thanks , good advice !

In the mid 80s I had a 1955 ES-295 that was a basket case. I refinished it (okay). It got passed around a couple years until I traded it even for a 1967(?) ES-335. Someone had painted the 335 a deep maroon, deeper than the typical Gibson wine red. They painted it binding and all. I did some research and turned out a friend had owned it and sanded it too vigorously....ruining some of the binding, ergo the paint job. Nowadays we would have just called it a 335 Studio of some sort. I stripped it and determined the binding was indeed too far gone. I traded it off and the next guy painted it Chuck Berry Red and added pinstriping tape for binding. What a mess. It looked fine from 20 feet away. Until a few gigs later when the tape started peeling off. In retrospect, it should have been left with the gloppy maroon paint job and played with reckless abandon.

In 1984 I bought a '67 Fender Coronado that had been painted red with a splash of gold glitter. My intention was to strip it to natural and clearcoat it. But the stripper softened the binding and the red paint bled into it. So I had a stripped-to-blonde body with pink binding. I masked it off and painted a topcoat of white onto the binding and then clearcoated the whole thing. Looked fine.

In the winter of 1986-87 I was unemployed with zero money coming in. I heated the house with a kerosene heater because I had no oil for the furnace. I ended up with the Coronado body again, which someone had begun sanding. The neck was long gone, added to a Strat body (another story). I had a 1963 Jaguar neck, the Coronado body, which I painted black, one P90, one PAF humbucker (yes I know it would pay off my mortgage now), a floating 60s Japanese bridge and a tailpiece. I rigged up pots and a switch and made it work. It was a mongrel but it played. And looked kinda cool in a goth rockabilly way. I sold it for $150 and that money made that month's house payment with enough left over to buy a bag of groceries.

I don't miss the 'good old days'. I was scared a lot.

Thanks mate,

i liked the story :-)

does any one try it ? or i should be the first one to buy and use on guitar :-)

You already did it remember?

FS32yet.jpg

Have fun with your new sock account Rev6...I mean YahliP...I mean SG Player...I mean Gaston...I mean GibSG...I mean AlfaCorse...I mean Silver Buck...

You already did it remember?

FS32yet.jpg

Have fun with your new sock account Rev6...I mean YahliP...I mean SG Player...I mean Gaston...I mean GibSG...I mean AlfaCorse...I mean Silver Buck...

i don't have LP , but i believe you are good man although your comment was ugly.

Archived