Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Livingston Gibson

livemusic

Bob Livingston played an uber critical role in the birth of Texas music genre, i.e., The Lost Gonzo Band, Jerry Jeff Walker, etc. Wondering what model his Gibson is. Brak Kopp looks like he's playing a Taylor. Whatever they are, sounds good.

Welp... I saw him in concert last night. Without a doubt, that was one of the best shows I have ever seen. That's a tall statement but it's true. Amazing professionalism. An act like that doesn't come easy. It looks fluid and effortless but it reminds me an act like somebody like the late comedian, George Carlin. Yes, he tells amazing stories but they aren't just rolling in off the top of his head, he's practiced everything a million times.

It was just him and guitar and harp. He plays well and I noted that I noticed that his playing was perfect for a singer-songwriter... no amazing lead runs, no need for it... the rhythm guitar playing served the song perfectly. He never hit a bad note. I also note that he is an excellent harmonica player. His harp playing was the epitome of what I wish I could do. It was just tasteful and the notes were clear whether single notes or chords on the harp. He effortlessly moved between singing and harp.

Everybody wanted to talk to him and I wish I had more time with him but I was able to get to him long enough to ask, "Is that a Gibson J-60?" He most definitely lit up and confirmed it was. I said "Those are hard to find." He said, "You are right and that's why I play it?" He asked if he sounded good and I said it most definitely did and he really lit up on that.

I also note that not once did he tune his guitar and he used a capo off and on quite a bit. That's a great guitar!

He has an amazing pedigree. His spot in the history of Texas music is second to none but he has traveled the world for decades on direction of the U.S. State Department as a goodwill ambassador for music. I think he said it's 32 countries now.

If he is ever in your area, see him, it was a fantastic 2-hour show. An intimate listening concert for 70 people.

Welp... I saw him in concert last night. Without a doubt, that was one of the best shows I have ever seen. That's a tall statement but it's true. Amazing professionalism. An act like that doesn't come easy. It looks fluid and effortless but it reminds me an act like somebody like the late comedian, George Carlin. Yes, he tells amazing stories but they aren't just rolling in off the top of his head, he's practiced everything a million times.

It was just him and guitar and harp. He plays well and I noted that I noticed that his playing was perfect for a singer-songwriter... no amazing lead runs, no need for it... the rhythm guitar playing served the song perfectly. He never hit a bad note. I also note that he is an excellent harmonica player. His harp playing was the epitome of what I wish I could do. It was just tasteful and the notes were clear whether single notes or chords on the harp. He effortlessly moved between singing and harp.

Everybody wanted to talk to him and I wish I had more time with him but I was able to get to him long enough to ask, "Is that a Gibson J-60?" He most definitely lit up and confirmed it was. I said "Those are hard to find." He said, "You are right and that's why I play it?" He asked if he sounded good and I said it most definitely did and he really lit up on that.

I also note that not once did he tune his guitar and he used a capo off and on quite a bit. That's a great guitar!

He has an amazing pedigree. His spot in the history of Texas music is second to none but he has traveled the world for decades on direction of the U.S. State Department as a goodwill ambassador for music. I think he said it's 32 countries now.

If he is ever in your area, see him, it was a fantastic 2-hour show. An intimate listening concert for 70 people.

Bob’s name is also in the Lubbock Walk of Fame along with Buddy Holly and Waylon Jennings...a great honor and feat in itself, honoring his talents!

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Archived