Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Fake?

lymealope

Hi everyone. I just came into possession of what seems to be a 70's J-45. As I was looking it over I could not find a serial number anywhere and also the truss rod cover has 3 screws. Can anyone verify if this was typical at any point. The neck definitely seems to fit the age of the guitar and looks to be authentic. I'm not sure though if it could have come off of another Gibson at some point? Any ideas would be great! Thanks.

There are fake Gibsons that are made with three screws in the truss rod cover. with no serial number showing and the three screw truss rod cover you might have a fake.

Gibson Guitars have two screws on the truss rod cover. some pictures would help.

spanishoaknc

th_GibsonCustomHummingbird.jpg

... the truss rod cover has 3 screws. ...

Photos would help, but this is a classic sign of forgery. Putting such a truss rod cover on a genuine Gibson is possible, even easy, but why would anyone do it?

-- Bob R

I'm anxious to see photos as well. A 3 screw cover is usually a dead giveaway as a fake but just to play devil's advocate, Gibson did occasionally use them in the 70s. The complete lack of serial number is more convincing because unless the back of the headstock has been sanded quite fiercely, there should be something there.... unless it had a decal, which some in the mid 70s did. In either case it would indicate stripping.

Archived