Gibson Brands Forums

LP Traditional Pro Mid-Boost Functionality in a Pedal?

BoSoxBiker

Hi All, I've got a wonderful 5-6 year old Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro ('59 Neck) . it has that Active mid-range boost circuitry that works wonders in the new age of direct to digital recording. I was hoping to be able to find a guitar effects pedal that does a similar thing as that circuit. I want to be able to run a signal from any guitar I have into a pedal that will change my signal in a similar manner as the active mid-boost in my Gibson.

I'm not sure what one would even call this, let alone good brands/models. I know it's not a standard Volume, Distortion or Overdrive pedal, but that's as far as I get.

If it matters, I typical run my guitar straight into Universal Audio Apollo interface via High-Z channel. From there, the signal goes through digital amp simulators and other effects. This pedal, if it exists, would be placed between the Guitar and the Apollo. 

Edited by PatriotsBiker

I ended up calling my guitar salesman late yesterday and ended up with a J Rocket "Archer". It works perfectly.  Gobs of head room. The tone knob acts kind of like a "sweepable mids" knob. The combination of drive and "treble" to the tone you want and back off the output to properly gain stage. As simple and effective as it can be. My days of rummaging through the controls of flabby amp sims for the perfect amount of tonal girth and proper distortion for hours is over. I just went from rubber-bands on ping pong paddles to electric guitars in an instant. It even made my older and very heavy MIk Epi LP Custom with worn out pickups perk up. 

10 hours ago, jdgm said:

TC Spark booster or even an EQ pedal - I have 2 Boss GE-7 pedals, both have the 'quiet' mods done which rmoves all hiss and is cheap.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. Based on the video by TC Electronics I just watched, the functionality I was looking for might have been covered by the Spark pedal. The Spark pedal does so much more, of course. 

............" ended up with a J Rockett "Archer". ......"

Sounds like a good choice, this is one of the Klon-type pedals that have appeared in the last few years.   Performs very well in the comparison vids on youtube.

For my 65th birthday I didn't have enough to buy a TC Spark so I got the cheapest "Klone" there is - the Mosky Golden Horse, a mini-pedal which cost me £17.90 GBP.

I wasn't expecting much but have been pleasantly surprised so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Effect-Golden-Guitar-Bypass/dp/B07GTFVT37

Have not put it on my board or gigged with it yet, will be interested to know how you get on with yours.

Edited by jdgm

I had never heard of the brand nor Klon type pedals before. I have a few from before getting into the home project studio end of the music world. Quite a bit has changed in 8 years. I did a search an etailer's pedal selection online and had quite the surprise at the options. So many out there. I have almost completely migrated to acoustic except for any electric guitar needed for songs.

Anyhow, my biggest concern will be how well it tracks. It sounds great in real time through the system, though. Should be good. I wonder if it will help a bass tone? TBD

Congrats on your milestone b-day! Your prize looks like a pretty nice clone/klone based on the reviews. Two variations available, too. My wife enjoys looking at the pedal names and making the young kids behind the counter blush and squirm. eg - "Do you play with your Swollen Pickle very often?"  LOL