Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson to start with if I already have a Taylor 314?

Mayloron

I really like the J45 - tried a few in store. I especially like the rosewood J45 because it is so different from my Taylor 314. But do you all have any suggestions since I am totally new to Gibson acoustic?

J45? Rosewood or hog? Would hog be too redundant since the Taylor is basically hog with spruce top too?

Hummer?

Songwriter?

I sing while playing....sometimes in a light rock band....some country and worship music too....sometimes I play alone while singing (weddings and such).

I'd probably lean toward the AJ too.  However, this is all dependent on what you think is a different tone, playability, etc.   Guitars are different sizes, bracing, necks.  All make an impact.   Having another mahogany guitar wouldn't bother me.  Every guitar is different.  Sometimes the wood makes them different, sometimes no-so-different.  My Hummingbird and J45tv are both mahogany and sound kind of different (I think).  The bird is square-shouldered, the 45 is slope.  Maybe the difference I perceive is because of their individual shapes, or maybe I just really like both guitars and don't care if they sound similar or not.  If you happen to find a  Gibby that calls your name, don't sweat the wood.  A good guitar is a good guitar................A J45 or bird would also be a great choice.  Have fun in your quest.

The is a huge difference between the 314 and the 'bird. I made that switch. (I know you are looking to augment - and why not?)  If you put a bird in your lap and it sang to you, I would not hesitate. I did a similar thing with Maples, this time keeping my 614 and adding an SJ-200 to the collection. Point is, I know they've got the same woods and all, but they are different beasts.

With its thinner body depth and walnut construction, I think the J-45 Studio is sort of Gibson's answer to the 314 -- that is,  a less expensive version of the next model up.  So why not get something that fills another niche than the one your Taylor already covers?  How about a small body, a Jumbo, or a 12-string?

Archived