Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock Veneer Replacement

PickyPick

Good afternoon all, 

I've recently broken and repaired my head stock on my 2018 Les Paul Traditional and the veneer got destroyed in the process. I plan on replacing the veneer and I have an opportunity to make it anything I want, I plan on putting the Crown Inlay Veneer found on SG's or ES's and was wondering if the head stock shape is similar or at least larger so I can trim it down. Thank you all for your help.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I would think you might also want to insure that the tuning machine holes line up as well.  I'm thinking that the safest bet on everything that should concern you is to stick with the Les Paul veneer.  Either this or make something custom yourself which might be fun...  Either way, good luck with your project. 

8 hours ago, PickyPick said:

I am buying one without tuner holes so I can place those myself. But yeah i thought it would be fun to do something different and make a unique Les Paul.

I think the the SG Crown would be Awesome!  ...or even the Split Diamond (Custom). 

Well that's what i'm still curious about. I just want to make sure that the veneer is the same size or larger than the Les Paul head stock. So if there is anyone out there with an SG and a LP that can compare the 2 head stock sizes to see if they are comparable that would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took a stab in the dark and decided to get the Veneer. It is beautiful slightly bowed but thats something that a little steam cant fix. For those that are wondering in case you want to do this yourselves the ES/SG style head stock is larger than the Les Paul USA Lines (Smaller than the Les Paul Custom) however some shaving of the veneer is required. Ill post pics when the project is complete. 

• Upvote 1