Gibson Brands Forums

Flatpicking limitations - J45 radius?

Thomas-NC

Advanced beginner here, working on flat-picking for 4-5 months (Fiddle tunes, bluegrass licks, etc.).   I’ve noticed it is easier to pick confidently, accurately, and faster on flatter fretboards (like 14”-16” radius) where my 2018 J45 is 12”.   Maybe the J45 would benefit  from an excellent setup (although the action feels good up and down the neck)?  My question is for you flatpickers, do you feel held back with 12” radius and if so, how much?

Otherwise this is the best guitar out there for me (feel and sound and looks!) 

note: reposting this. Originally posted in General and was recommended to post here. 

crappy flat-picker here.

I kind of feel like the short scale and/or 1-11/16" nut and string spacing is more of a thing than the fretboard radius (for me anyway). I kind of got used to it - and i've got bigger problems to sort out with my playing 😉

I do kind of want to get a D-18 though 

The difference is minimal, but there is a difference:

c1_radii_chart.jpg

For me at least I don't think it has anything to do with the fretboard radius. The reason I do not like flat picking on a J45 is because of the shorter scale length. I prefer the longer scale length of the Advanced Jumbo and Martin dreads. Even with heavier strings the J-45 feels floppy. I like a bit more resistance. a Martin scale length dread of longer scale AJ and some 13's and that's the way to go for flat picking, and for that type of playing my D-18 crushes a J-45.

Edited by sbpark

The general wisdom is board radius has more to do with the left hand chording.  Scale to me is more an overall feel having to do with distance between frets and string tension.   If there is a difference that would come into play regarding fingerpicking and flatpicking it would be string spread at the bridge.  From what I can gather flatpickers prefer the strings closer together than fingerpickers.

Edited by zombywoof

I only flat pick and strum, never fingerpick. I need wider spacing at the nut, 1.75 to 1.77". My right hand acclimates to various string spacings pretty quickly, though.  All three of my guitars are different at the saddle:  2 3/16, 2 1/4, and 2 5/16". I don't notice much difference flatpicking my J35 Fuller's, but I tend to play with a little lighter right hand on the short scale. 

Apparently my reading comprehension was lacking when I replied to this thread; the OP asked about radius not about string spacing.  Sorry.

I don't have a problem with radius on a guitar neck. I didn't even notice that my older Larrivee had a very large radius and subsequent flat board until a friend pointed it out. I have a Collings, Gibson, and Blueridge and couldn't tell you what each radius is. I doubt they're all the same. On a mandolin, it's a different story. I don't like flat boards on a mandolin. I feel like my fingers are in ditch. I need a radiused board there.