Gibson Brands Forums

amp for J-200

motixlost

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 8:49 AM, QuestionMark said:

The Roland Street Cube plugs into an electrical outlet with an adapter that comes with it or it can be used with  6 AA batteries.   Not only do I use it for gigging, but since I bought it about 2 years ago, I have found I haven’t used any of my other amps when I play inside my home as I instead continue to use my Roland Street Cube as I like its clear sound now better than my UltraSound or Ibanez acoustic amps.  And, I loved my UltraSound acoustic amp.  Used it for many years.  Now it sits unused.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Not to beat a dead horse - but the topic of EQ got me thinking.  I love my Bose S1, and only bass and treble controls are fine with my K&K p'up in my J45,  but when I use my Dean Markely soundhole p'up with my Guild it sounds quacky.  I can get rid of the quackiness by turning down treble, and up bass - but I do wish I had a 'mid' knob in these circumstances.

Having said that - I'm really liking the Roland Street Cube and Street Cube Ex (although have not listened to any live).   

42 minutes ago, billroy said:

Not to beat a dead horse - but the topic of EQ got me thinking.  I love my Bose S1, and only bass and treble controls are fine with my K&K p'up in my J45,  but when I use my Dean Markely soundhole p'up with my Guild it sounds quacky.  I can get rid of the quackiness by turning down treble, and up bass - but I do wish I had a 'mid' knob in these circumstances.

Having said that - I'm really liking the Roland Street Cube and Street Cube Ex (although have not listened to any live).   

Hey Bill, for what it does, the S1 is great, but I will restate that in my opinion, it is seriously lacking with regard to tone shaping. 

I am using it as a guitar monitor in the trio I started working with. (kind of on a pole in the corner where my other amp sits (Fender 4x10 deville)   

Since we're doing a good percentage of songs with just the acoustic, I need some sort of stage monitor for that.  I run my acoustics thru my tonedexter, one output goes to the board (Unbalanced out)  for the house, the other (Balanced XLR out) goes into the S1.  That seems to help a lot, but I have to say, it still doesn't sound as good as my fishman artist. 

If it weren't for the trio and needing something there, I'd probably be looking to sell it at this point.

in your case, you may get some mileage out of a Boss CE7 (7 band EQ)

Edited by kidblast

After three weeks with my H&K Era 2, I can absolutely, unreservedly recommend it. By far the best acoustic amp I've ever owned or used. I've used it for 12 or so gigs and even ran a showcase night with it a few nights ago with a mixer running into channel 3, an act's backing tracks into the Aux input on channel 4, several vocals and acoustics all at once and the tone was stellar-really, really pro.

16 minutes ago, Jinder said:

After three weeks with my H&K Era 2, I can absolutely, unreservedly recommend it. By far the best acoustic amp I've ever owned or used. I've used it for 12 or so gigs and even ran a showcase night with it a few nights ago with a mixer running into channel 3, an act's backing tracks into the Aux input on channel 4, several vocals and acoustics all at once and the tone was stellar-really, really pro.

Very cool Jinder!

57 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Hey Bill, for what it does, the S1 is great, but I will restate that in my opinion, it is seriously lacking with regard to tone shaping. 

I am using it as a guitar monitor in the trio I started working with. (kind of on a pole in the corner where my other amp sits (Fender 4x10 deville)   

Since we're doing a good percentage of songs with just the acoustic, I need some sort of stage monitor for that.  I run my acoustics thru my tonedexter, one output goes to the board (Unbalanced out)  for the house, the other (Balanced XLR out) goes into the S1.  That seems to help a lot, but I have to say, it still doesn't sound as good as my fishman artist. 

If it weren't for the trio and needing something there, I'd probably be looking to sell it at this point.

in your case, you may get some mileage out of a Boss CE7 (7 band EQ)

For me, which is to have volume in the office, and then portable volume to the campfire and maybe the rare open mic type party - I'm good with it. 

I agree with you on the tone shaping though, but I do get to good enough with what I need.  If I was concerned with an audience of more than just a few friends, it might be an issue - but right now I'm more than happy with it.  I'll check out the Boss CE7. 

When I'm as famous as Jinder I'm going to get the H&K.

3 hours ago, billroy said:

Very cool Jinder!

For me, which is to have volume in the office, and then portable volume to the campfire and maybe the rare open mic type party - I'm good with it. 

I agree with you on the tone shaping though, but I do get to good enough with what I need.  If I was concerned with an audience of more than just a few friends, it might be an issue - but right now I'm more than happy with it.  I'll check out the Boss CE7. 

When I'm as famous as Jinder I'm going to get the H&K.

If I can't get a good sound, I can't be "me"... so, perhaps it's the OCD part of me but... there it is..

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

If I can't get a good sound, I can't be "me"... so, perhaps it's the OCD part of me but... there it is..

I think it's a couple of things -

• you've got years of listening to what sounds good or not and have a very developed opinion, not me - and in this case ignorance is bliss 🙂
  • I'm using it more for my vocal amplification than amplifying my acoustic - I'm trying to sing louder than my guitar, not really trying to fill a big space...  
  • I've tried my fender blues jr totally clean with the acoustic (due to comments on some thread) - and again, noting my judgement is not developed - really liked it.  It complicates the set up up but when I'm feeling really frisky I bring the blues jr out to the campfire for guitar and the bose for vocals.

51 minutes ago, billroy said:

I think it's a couple of things -

• you've got years of listening to what sounds good or not and have a very developed opinion, not me - and in this case ignorance is bliss 🙂
  • I'm using it more for my vocal amplification than amplifying my acoustic - I'm trying to sing louder than my guitar, not really trying to fill a big space...  
  • I've tried my fender blues jr totally clean with the acoustic (due to comments on some thread) - and again, noting my judgement is not developed - really liked it.  It complicates the set up up but when I'm feeling really frisky I bring the blues jr out to the campfire for guitar and the bose for vocals.

I get that! it works for you, and that is all that matters at the end of the day.  My wife tells me I'm beyond anal, she's usually right, at least I've found in most cases just to go with that as the norm anyway!