Gibson Brands Forums

Hurrah for Masterbuilt Strings!

Buc McMaster

Powerpopper:

I hope it's not so' date=' although that Young, whats his name guy, does ok with D'Addarios. Over on the Lounge, I think it was, someone heard Gibson is going out of business entirely. Think I'll take a wait and see on all current rumors. [/quote']

Didn't hear about Gibson going out of business entirely and I doubt that would happen, though I wouldn't be surprised if the company were acquired someday. Or maybe they will do the acquiring of someone else...

I'm going to ask this guy about the strings again, because he seemed pretty sure, as if it was already common knowledge...

Went in to pick up a set of Masterbuilt Strings and the guitar manager there told me the Elgin location will no longer be making the strings and that instead they will be manufactured by D'Addario. Which' date=' if this is the case, I'm thinking they will not only be a lot like EJ-16's, they will BE EJ-16's in Gibson packaging.[/quote']

I haven't heard this story about the Elgin plant. This could easily be one of those rumors that goes around and has no basis in fact (tho' I wouldn't be shocked if it were true). But this wouldn't necessarily mean that Masterbuilts and EJ-16s would be the same strings. They could just be EJ-16s. But D'Addario could build 'em to the same specs that Gibson's using now, from the same wire. The main difference would be that they'd get wound by D'Addario winding machines rather than Gibson winding machines. Some of the other-branded strings D'Addario puts out now are built to different specs than the D'Addario-branded strings, and some aren't, so it wouldn't be anything new either way.

-- Bob R

All of the top brands of strings have alloy (secrets) known only to their supplier (of wire) and so they get spools of wire which match a specific set of specifications. So brand A really is different that brand B ... except the beer-can Chinese type strings are just so much wire of a give thickness (you can hear it when you play them).

But then the maker (whomever makes the strings) has to take a length of wire off the spool and terminate it with a round gizmo and color code it and put in in packaging. (Martins come two strings to one envelope) One guitar player told me he preferred Gibson because they came in a can and were not exposed to weather. (also maybe he travels around more than mot of us).

OBVIOUSLY different string thicknesses changes neck tension and can result in needing a "set up." Too light and the string slips around like thread and is hard to play. Too thick and your fingers get sore. All kinds of things affect tone and sound produced.

So it is hard to say if different string makers can do justice to two different brands or if the brands will ultimately become the same strings in different envelopes. Also if nobody buys them (or they do not buy enough) then the best string in the world go out of business. Somehow customers have to WANT them. It could be just the artwork on the envelope or the brand name or the box color. But enough of them have to sell to keep the doors open.

All of the top brands of strings have alloy (secrets) known only to their supplier (of wire) and so they get spools of wire which match a specific set of specifications. ...

The story I heard could be wrong, but it was that guitar string manufacturers don't buy enough to have wire of "special" alloys drawn for them -- they have to choose from standard stuff that's available. (Which isn't to say that there's not a lot of variation in the choices.) That would make the only "secret" the supplier's part number. (Which isn't to say that if two string makers choose the same wires, the resulting strings will be identical. There are differences in winding technology that matter. And, of course, differences in coating technology for coated strings.)

-- Bob R

I haven't heard this story about the Elgin plant.

According to my source, the Elgin plant has already stopped manufacturing Gibson strings. Rather than the plant shutting down though, the story goes that they are making other Gibson accessories. As this is the Gibson forum, isn't there someone who can help get to the bottom of this?

Powerpopper:

I hope it's not so' date=' although that Young, whats his name guy, does ok with D'Addarios. Over on the Lounge, I think it was, someone heard Gibson is going out of business entirely. Think I'll take a wait and see on all current rumors. [/quote']

I quit the "Lounge" last Sunday. I don't fit in over there. Too many children who can't spell, much less think. Too much drama for a guitar forum. In my opinion.

I do think if Gibson completely quits building strings, it will be a bad thing.

Yes.

A bad turn in history.

Murph.

Rar - sounds credible. One area that is mystifying to me is strings. I rad a lot but there isn't much new being said. I know from experience that Martin, DAdarrio, Pearse and Exlixir work well and hav e long life. I know that store brand (China) and super cheap brand doesn't. I know that changing string weight/type changes neck tension and brings on adjustments. BUT that having been said .. the whole topic os strings is black magic. I am never certain I have the right one on the guitar. I have gotten good acoustic results with Martin light SP4100 PB strings (and close with DAddario 10-52 light PB and terrific with Elixir light 10-52. But that does not make an expert out of me. Electric I am not sure. I used Elixir electric strings. But I have no idea what ELSE might be a good electric string. You are never wrong with Elixir (of course)

... store brand (China) ...

Depends on the store. There are two more-or-less local shops where I occasionally buy house-brand strings. In both cases, they are made by D'Addario.

-- Bob R

Archived