Gibson Brands Forums

Hurrah for Masterbuilt Strings!

Buc McMaster

I've been using John Pearse PB strings for years on Martins, Taylors and others and have been very happy with tone, volume and longevity. Always one to experiment with such things, I strung up the 200 with a set of Gibson Masterbuilt PB's this past weekend and I have found my new string! These strings just work very well with the guitar - a warmer tone than the JP's for whatever reason and lots of volume. I think I now understand what phosphor bronze does for tone. I wonder who is making these strings for Gibson.......? There are only a handful of string makers out there, turning out strings for dozens and dozens of labels. D'Addario and GHS are manufacturers........anyone have a definitive list of them?

On a side note..... I first tied on a set of Gibson Mstblt's in medium gauge (bought lights & mediums). Wow! The mediums made the darn thing thunder! A quarter turn on the truss rod set the relief right. Very powerful sound. After playing it for a day and a half and keeping an eye on things I decided I didn't like the way the extra tension was distorting the top behind the bridge. The bracing is scalloped and I seem to remember (perhaps from Martin guitars) that medium strings at pitch and scalloped bracing don't go together. Anyway, I clipped off the mediums and wound on the lights.........satisfaction! Determined the quarter turn on the rod could stay with the lights, lowering the action just a shade, and the top laid back down nicely.

What are your thoughts on medium strings on a scallop-braced top? And if you haven't already, give the Gibson Masterbuilt PB's a try!

hey buc,

I'm laughing because I tried the masterbuilts, was dissatisfied, tried the John Pearse 600Ls (phosphor bronze lights) and was thrilled!

We're all after a different sound, and I'm playing a songwriter deluxe studio, not an SJ200. To my ear the masterbuilt lights sounded too jangly, where the John Pearse had a more balanced tone, sharp ringing highs but warm lows. I tried the masterbuilt mediums and I couldn't get the rings I wanted out of the higher strings, plus I didn't care for the thickness....

I'm glad they worked out for you, though, I'm not sure who turns them out. ALl that matters is that when we sit down to play we love how that Gibson + (string of your choice) sounds so much we can't put it down.

I wonder who is making these strings for Gibson.......?

Gibson makes their own strings, in beautiful Napierville, IL, possible future home of the Chicago Cubs. Back in the day, strings were made in the Kalamazoo plant, but management decided to move the operation elsewhere. (The story is that this was partly to free up some space in the factory, and partly to discourage personnel from transferring from woodworking to string winding, and vice versa, whenever they wanted a change of scenery. "The grass is always greener ..." and the union contract guaranteed people already working there a first shot at any job openings, so a single person leaving could trigger a cascade of people changing jobs.)

-- Bob R

The search for that perfect sound for many of us is akin to the search for the Holy Grail. I have tried numerous brands of strings on my SJ200MC and, until recently, was sold on the Elixirs. Someone on this forum suggested D'Addario EJ19er Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass Bluegrass strings (med bottom, light top) and I noted it and eventually bought 3 sets from MF as an afterthought while buying something else and when I put them on I was amazed. Full, rich, warm bass on the bottom, not too heavy, and the top strings ring like a bell, just the highs that I want. They are near-perfect for how I play and you can't beat them at $6.99 a set. Until something better comes along and I get re-amazed, they will stay on my SJ200 for the time being. Can't remember who it was that suggested them, but thanks a million:)

Played a solo gig at LuLus in TN and miked thru their Bose system and I was absolutely thrilled at the sound. Had someone come up and say they had never seen or heard such a beautiful guitar before. Comments like that make your day:)

The search for that perfect sound for many of us is akin to the search for the Holy Grail. I have tried numerous brands of strings on my SJ200MC and, until recently, was sold on the Elixirs. Someone on this forum suggested D'Addario EJ19er Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass Bluegrass strings (med bottom, light top) and I noted it and eventually bought 3 sets from MF as an afterthought while buying something else and when I put them on I was amazed. Full, rich, warm bass on the bottom, not too heavy, and the top strings ring like a bell, just the highs that I want. They are near-perfect for how I play and you can't beat them at $6.99 a set. Until something better comes along and I get re-amazed, they will stay on my SJ200 for the time being. Can't remember who it was that suggested them, but thanks a million:)

Played a solo gig at LuLus in TN and miked thru their Bose system and I was absolutely thrilled at the sound. Had someone come up and say they had never seen or heard such a beautiful guitar before. Comments like that make your day:)

Hey John Lee -- good to see you back again.

Haven't tried the Gibson Masterbuilts yet, but will at some point. Just put a new set of D'Addario PB lights on my Collings last night, after playing Pearse PBs for while on it -- quite a difference: a bit boomier in the bass and a little thinner (to my ears) in the highs. Plus that annoying (again, to my ears) brand-new-string "zzZZZING!," especially on the G string, though hopefully that will go away soon.

Have been using medium D'Addario PBs on my Gibson, but am thinking I just may switch back to lights. The big sound is nice, but it is definitely not fingerstyle-friendly with the mediums, which means I've only got one guitar for finger-pickin, which means ... I might need another guitar!

What are your thoughts on medium strings on a scallop-braced top? And if you haven't already' date=' give the Gibson Masterbuilt PB's a try![/quote']

Hi Buc,

I've been using medium guage D'Addario PBs on my J-45 TV (very light build, scalloped bracing) for a while now without any problems. We'll see how it holds up over the years. However, the J-45 is a short scale design, so I don't believe that this is exactly an apples to apples comparison.

All the best,

Guth

Strings are an on-going struggle and nobody has a pat answer. Too bad. You can spend a lot of money on a guitar and then it all rises or falls on $8 worth of strings. I have been happy with Martin SP4100 PB strings BUT not entirely .. so I continue to search. I read many good comments on Pearse strings. But light or medium? It makes a difference (and so adjustments may be needed) .. and then it's $60 instead of $8 and back to the "try something else" cycle. EVEN WORSE with the electric because the strings interact with pickups and there are truss rods too. I use Elixir but even Elixir might wrong for the guitar. Nobody has the same opinion .. ten guitar players have ten opinions about strings. What is absolutely certain is that cheap beer-can strings from China are crap. Gibson and Martin enjoy good reputations as do D'Addario, Pearse and Elixir. That together with **light or medium** and **PB or 80/20** is worth five years of your life to figure out WHICH strings are best. (by then they change the alloy and you must start over) Nobody knows (even luthiers) .. there ought to be some statistic somewhere on what people buy the most of.... and what kind do the best players buy? (have you ever asked a mechanic to tell you whether 10W30 is better than 10W40? It's ALWAYS the most expensive)(same for spark plugs)

Strings are an on-going struggle and nobody has a pat answer. Too bad. You can spend a lot of money on a guitar and then it all rises or falls on $8 worth of strings. I have been happy with Martin SP4100 PB strings BUT not entirely .. so I continue to search. I read many good comments on Pearse strings. But light or medium? It makes a difference (and so adjustments may be needed) .. and then it's $60 instead of $8 and back to the "try something else" cycle. EVEN WORSE with the electric because the strings interact with pickups and there are truss rods too. I use Elixir but even Elixir might wrong for the guitar. Nobody has the same opinion .. ten guitar players have ten opinions about strings. What is absolutely certain is that cheap beer-can strings from China are crap. Gibson and Martin enjoy good reputations as do D'Addario' date=' Pearse and Elixir. That together with **light or medium** and **PB or 80/20** is worth five years of your life to figure out WHICH strings are best. (by then they change the alloy and you must start over) Nobody knows (even luthiers) .. there ought to be some statistic somewhere on what people buy the most of.... and what kind do the best players buy? (have you ever asked a mechanic to tell you whether 10W30 is better than 10W40? It's ALWAYS the most expensive)(same for spark plugs)[/quote']

YOW! That's a whole lotta angst for such a simple question. Rather than worry about which strings are "best" (whatever that might mean), why not just find a kind you like and enjoy them?

EVEN WORSE with the electric because the strings interact with pickups and there are truss rods too.

for every electric I've ever played, I only used one brand of strings = ernie ball. I've found the search for the best acoustic strings to be more of a wandering journey...

John Lee-Welcome back! I've got a set of D'Addario EJ-19's sitting on a stack of other strings to try and now that you've had them on your SJ-200 MC I think I'll try them on mine. Did you have to do any adjustments at all or just string 'em up and play?

Hiya Tw! Thanks man:) Well I thought at first I might have to make an adjustment whereas the bottoms are mediums, but the balance is perfect with my guitar and no adjustments needed. They sound great and are just the right feel and tension for me. They allow me to accent the highs and lows in song - play heavier on the bottoms for chorus, etc. I really like them, even over the Elixirs. They might not last as long as the Elixirs when it comes to brightness, but at that price I can change them every 20 hrs or so of playing and keep them sounding nice and new:)

Just string that bebbie up and play man!

Stumps I appreciate that. One of the most important things I am getting from this forum is about strings. Maybe because they are such a struggle. I have had pretty good luck on acoustic with Martin SP 4100 PB -- but understand that it is not the "last word" -and from this forum and thinking of trying Pearse. But the electric has been very difficult. So I have not tried Ernie Ball and will try them next. With the acoustic we are trying to get TONE .. so like Greensleeves sounds full and rich .. harp like. But on the electric we do not want "sour" notes which can arise. And oddly enough we are playing and it sounds "sour" but the electronic tuner says everything is perfect. Well something is NOT perfect. Sometimes a diamond, sometimes a stone. But that's not way to have to play. One electric we begin "the chase" ... strings, bridge, pickups, pots. amp, foot switch ... oh gollee-ee-e! Then ambient conditions .. .

So I have not tried Ernie Ball and will try them next.

when I played the strat I loved the ernie ball super slinkys

when I played the hollowbody I used the slinkys (med. gauge)

I put super slinkys on my son's new guitar (michael kelly)

they just seem to have such an even vibration, tone. give them a whirl, see what you think. :-)

Yeah ... you know as Jayla says -- a lot of angst for such a simple question ... but actually the simpler question is what kind of guitar do you want (all you need is the money). (even in that we end up with fiver .. or ten ). But strings are such a moving target and the make a big difference. You do not realize it when you are starting out and just trying to learn C-F-G7 and read the music and keep up with the other players. After that is not longer an issue ... it gets to be smaller and smaller issues (strings, saddles, tuning machines, straps, strap locks, car insurance-apartment insurance coverages, ambient temperature/humidity. Smaller issues but not unimportant ones. Insurance -- I had a Yamaha guitar stolen from my car about 8 months ago. The insurance company (State Farm) said "prove it was stolen and prove it's value." Well to prove it was stolen you need a police report and some kind of evidence that you owned it. (stop and ask, what evidence do you have-- a picture with you holding the guitar -- that you own the guitar. ). THEN look at your deductible and THEN look at all of the exceptions. WHEN is your insurance company NOT responsible no matter what? Like suppose your basement floods? Your refrigerator springs a leak and plaster falls on your guitar? Your car is stolen and the guitar is in it? There is pot in the car (I don't use it) and the police take the car and the guitar is in it? A band member's car ... should you ALWAYS drive your own car? The other guys car burns -- you drove to his place in your car (your insurance) and put your guitar in his car .. and on the way the car burned, crashed, flipped, whatever ... he's not insured or under insured. Stuff you NEVER think about. You don't even think it could happen. But it DOES happen and insurance companies have clauses. If you have a $5,000 Gibson (or a$40,000 Gibson!!!) you better read your insurance policies -- all of them.

PS one of the big WINNER things about Gibson . ... if you own a $40,000 Gibson it is virtually one-of-a-kind and the economic recession does not diminish that. It is like owning a Picasso. They are not making any more of them and you have the only one! It is BETTER than gold. The rarer it gets the move valuable it becomes. AND Gibson was and is used by all the greats -- Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, jazz greats, BB King -- and the pictures are a permanent record so you rare Gibson only gets more valuable every year (and old guitars a great instruments just like old violins). There are old martins from the 19th century -- collectors items to be sure.

AND .. a rising tide lifts all boats .. so as rare Gibson s go up -- all Gibson s go up. (they go down for a while ... maybe ten years .. THEN they appreciate). I won't be here in 40 years but my Gibson will! And it will still be a great guitar (and probably not as great as MOST of yours! - however -- if you like a near perfect guitar with few frills -- a plain guitar that is near perfect ... that's mine!) I happen to like exactly that - a great guitar that is not too garish.

I remember many moons ago (yeah I can actually remember that far back:) when we were just starting out, 12-15 hr rehearsal days in an old farmhouse in the boonies. We used Nashville Straights - anybody remember those? - came in long packages, uncoiled, and we would nail them to the wall descending in string size lol. Bought them in bulk and kept a good supply on hand. When you broke one you knew where to go and what to grab. Man those were the days:)

So, heard this today from one of my local guitar shops...

Went in to pick up a set of Masterbuilt Strings and the guitar manager there told me the Elgin location will no longer be making the strings and that instead they will be manufactured by D'Addario. Which, if this is the case, I'm thinking they will not only be a lot like EJ-16's, they will BE EJ-16's in Gibson packaging.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm not sure I have a conclusion on strings (so many variations yet to try). Heck, I don't have a conclusion on which Acoustic I want next for that matter...:-s

But I will say I have liked D'addario EJ-16's on several acoustics...

So' date=' heard this today from one of my local guitar shops...

Went in to pick up a set of Masterbuilt Strings and the guitar manager there told me the Elgin location will no longer be making the strings and that instead they will be manufactured by D'Addario. Which, if this is the case, I'm thinking they will not only be a lot like EJ-16's, they will BE EJ-16's in Gibson packaging.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?[/quote']

First I'm hearing it. Of course then it comes down to price too.

So' date=' heard this today from one of my local guitar shops...

Can anyone confirm or deny this?[/quote']

Powerpopper:

I hope it's not so, although that Young, whats his name guy, does ok with D'Addarios. Over on the Lounge, I think it was, someone heard Gibson is going out of business entirely. Think I'll take a wait and see on all current rumors.

Archived