Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Rosewood - My new best friend...

ktasker

Hey Guys...new to the forum and just picked up a new J45 Rosewood Modern. I am a very happy camper. I want to install a strap pin so I don't have to tie a strap to the headstock. Anybody know of the best/safest location to drill a small pilot hole and install a strap pin? On my prior acoustic (Takemine ESF-93 LTD), I installed it right in the heel of the neck and never had a problem.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Keith

Congrats on your new git. Great minds think alike, I bought mine on saturday ! Put the strap button on the treble side of the neck , about an inch from the lower bout. I just installed mine a few hours ago. If I get a chance I''l take a pic and post it.

snyksnake, ktasker - welcome!!!

I love the J45RW, I "ummmed and ahhhed" for ages whether to go hog or rosewood. I went 'hog, but there's no doubt I'll add a RW to the armoury at one day, I love them!!

As above, there is a lot of discussion about the merits of a strap button, and its subsequent location. The overriding concensus (if I may speak for a few whohave commented on this topic before), is to ensure that wherever you choose to put it, make sure the job is done properly - either by yourself, or for a few ££/$$ by a professional.

Mine's on the heel FWIW..!

i would have installed it a little lower to make sure it was out of the way.... but the pic in this thread will give a good idea. just don't do it on the front of the heal.

and there are tons of thread talking about how to do it so that you are sure it's correct, and so you don't snap the screw off while putting it in (it's more than just screwing one in.... lots of heat will build up and the screw could shear off.)

I installed my strap button right into the heel cap of my J45 modern, on the flat surface. Per the FRETS article, I figured it would be the easiest place to fill/touch up if I ever decided to remove it. I used a bone strap button from Bob Colosi, which looks very nice.

I did notice that with the factory Grovers, the headstock is very heavy and the neck wants to tip down/forward. I switched to open-back Waverlies which weigh half as much as the Grovers; the weight reduction was very noticeable and made the guitar very much more comfortable to play with a strap.

Between the button and the tuners I have an extra $150 into this instrument, but I plan to keep it forever so to me, it's worth it. Tortoise-inlayed bone pegs and a firestripe pickguard are next, entirely for looks.

Thanks everyone for the great tips on this topic. I've got to say that this J45 Rosewood has inspired me musically, and I was at a point where I needed some inspiration to play more. I see this as the last acoustic guitar I should ever need to purchase.

My buddy has the Mahogany and that is incredibly sweet as well. But when I A/B them, the rosewood really sings to me. My Takemine has a cedar top with oak back & sides...beautiful guitar, but never had the warmth & richness I craved.

Thanks again!

Keith

Archived