Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Know About The Marshall JTM 60 Head?

max2343

Just pulled the Trigger on a Marshall JTM60 Head. Mail order for 349.00 with a 1 year warranty.

Anyone ever Seen/Heard or Play one?

Are they like the JTM 45's. Can't find anything on the Internet. Besides JTM 30's or 60's combo's.

I've played with them and they sound pretty sweet. The are nothing like the JTM45...I have the "little brother" to the JTM60, called the JTM30. I've had it since new and I freaking love it. Yours has a pair of EL34 power tubes and a set of 4 ECC83 pre-amp tubes. The only knock on these amps (JTM30 and JTM60) is that the tubes hang vertically from the sockets and can get hot, so you need to make sure no to put the amp where air doesn't flow...I've been playing mine since I bought it, with no problems. You got a great price. Congrats!

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#JTM60

I didn't see that Rich had posted the same link!

Different design, different sound. It's hard to find an amp tech that will work on the JT30 and JT60 too, they are not tech friendly. The sounds from these amps are excellent, but the design isn't the best. It's a PCB board based amp and as I mentioned the tubes hang vertically right below the PCB board, so the heat from the tubes can cause the solder to lift on the PCB or in extreme cases cause the PCB to crack. I've never had ANY problems with mine, but you will read horror stories from some people with these amps. Also, the bias adjustment is to physically replace resistors, it's not really adjustable.

Also, some folks have had problems with the FX loop, if the jacks get dirty, they can cause problems, so you'll want to jack a cable in and out of the sockets every now and then to keep them clean.

great link Rich

Yeah, that's the first place I go when I want to find out anything about Marshalls. That guy doesn't have a lot of detailed information (if you don't count schematics), but he seems to have information on EVERY model of Marshall ever made.

Kool. Yea I've read some reveiws about the Tube sizzling Red Hot (smells kool) and its best to try and put the Fans inside near the back of the control panel.

As to push the air out and not in, helps alot with sizzle heat transferance on the boards solder joints. Just like you Mentioned. Small computer fans might work.

Really like to see your plans.

Yea' date=' I'm Excited. What do you mean nothing like the JTM 45.

Can you tell me how they are Different.[/quote']

I don't know any more than you do about the JTM60, but the JTM45 was the very first Marshall amp. It was not the type of amp that did heavy distortion like what most of us think about when it comes to Marshalls and was based on the tweed Fender Bassman which had a tube rectifier as did the JTM45.

Marshall amps from around the mid to late 60's do not have tube rectifiers. Guitar players were starting to go for more aggressive tones and a tube rectifier isn't necessarily the best choice as you start overdriving the amp more and more as they don't react fast enough. So, Marshall responded and started using solid state rectifiers. The amp I use with my band (Mesa Stiletto Deuce) is a two channel, channel-switching amp for clean and distorted tones and each channel can be set up to use either a tube rectifier or a solid state rectifier respectively. Long story short, I don't use the dirty channel but use a boost to crank up the gain on the clean channel and I use the solid state rectifier setting all the time as the tube rectifier just gets too mushy sounding when I ramp up the gain. Personally, I love a tube rectifier for clean and mildly overdrive tones but that's not the majority of sounds I use with my band.

So, I'm assuming here, but you probably read somewhere about the JTM45 being the first model Marshall and thought it would be cool to own something like it, even if you weren't sure what it sounded like, without having to spend major bucks on it so the JTM60 seemed like it might do the trick. If you're into moderately overdrive classic rock tones (and have somewhere to crank up a non-master volume amp) or stuff like The Black Crowes, a JTM45 or a clone would be a nice choice. But, if you're looking for more aggressive tones and also want the convenience of a master volume amp, I think you made the right choice with the JTM60 and that's the way I would have gone.

If you're interested in checking out what a JTM45 sounds like, there are some good sound and video clips of Germino's version of the JTM45:

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

If you're interested in checking out what a JTM45 sounds like' date=' there are some good sound and video clips of Germino's version of the JTM45:

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

[/quote']

Oh, I have wanted one of those Geronimo's bad. Their sound clips are great.... I feel the AAS!

Looking forward to hearing a full report on the JTM60, Cuda.

You and me both' date=' surfpup. But, for better or worse, I wouldn't have very many opportunities to crank one up so that helps keep me in check.

[/quote']

And the AAS says...

"Yeah but see... right now I am playing an 18 watt head. The JTM45 puts out about 30 watts. Since you have to double the wattage to get a barely audible increase in volume (3db) the JTM45 is less than 3db louder than my current rig. The difference in volume would be essentially unnoticeable."

Do you hear the AAS talkin? I do!

Kool RichCI. You nailed right, man.

I like Maxing the vol and coming up on the dirt to about half way through my 4 vintage 30's.

If all goes good, this will be Going. Not enough dirt and too much bottom end.

Doesn't break-up well even maxed and it's not working right.

Hardly no volume on the clean channel, only about half.

Good for only certain stuff.

000_4937.jpg

000_4941.jpg

You and me both' date=' surfpup. But, for better or worse, I wouldn't have very many opportunities to crank one up so that helps keep me in check.

[/quote']

The Cops are always at my house, twice a month on friday night. The old lady heads-em off at the door, Acts like she is surprised and gives them Pizza and pop at the Kitchen table. Then comes down in the sub-basement and tells us they are here.

Archived