Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CS LG-2 Banner Reissue?

GJN

Hi everyone.  New to the forum but a long time Gibson electric player.

After playing Martins for years, I really wanted a Gibson acoustic and have been trying out J-45s whenever I could find one over the past month or so.  A couple were real contenders but I didn't feel the GAS to the  point where I had to have it or couldn't walk out of the store without it.

While on the J-45 hunt this weekend, I picked one up, played for a bit and was putting it back when i spotted a smaller J-45 ... the LG-2.  I had never tried one and didn't know much about them or the banner era history, etc.  Well, I played it and it was great.  Left the store and had to rush back the next day to play it again.  After only a few more mins, Saturday was NGD!!! Big, full, rich sound for a little guy and has that Gibson punch and tone I was chasing.

It's a Gibson Custom Shop LG-2 Banner Reissue.  Serial number dates it 2011.  I tried to research a bit but didn't come up with much on the CS LG-2 with the script logo and banner.  Was looking for any reviews, how many of these reissues the CS made, etc.  Lots of info on the LG-2 Americana and vintage ones but very little on this model.

Then I realized I didn't care because it feels right, sounds great and it was a good deal!

Does anyone here have any background on these specific models? 

Gibson CS LG-2.JPG

There have been a number of LG models produced in recent years, beginning with the LG-2 American Eagle in 2013.  There also was a limited run all-mahogany LG.  I've seen your particular model, but don't recall the year.  Typically, on these small run CS models, it can be difficult to find much info.

I happen to have a 2013 LG2-AE, and a 1966 Epiphone Cortez (Kalamazoo-made B-25 clone).  The small LG size can indeed have a very satisfying sound, along with excellent playability.  Congrats & enjoy! 

Thanks. I've seen a couple of videos and comments on the AE and other custom shop runs but never one similar to mine with the script logo, banner and the CS logo on the back.

There does seem to be some sweet sounding mystery!

I played three of these back when I was searching for a small round shoulder acoustic,  indeed around 2012. They were the perfect size for me, and they have that J-45 sound in a smaller enclosure (albeit not as loud and a little 'boxy' sounding). I ended up playing one in a shop in UK a few years back which I really liked and was about to buy, but out of nowhere the shop owner brought a 1946 LG-2 from his collection which blew the brand new LG-2 out of the water. I ended up buying the vintage instead (which I still own and is my most-played guitar). It was only £600 or so more expensive than the brand new model too.

They are great guitars and the newer ones will only get better with time 🙂

Edited by DanyJr

I inherited an original 44' Banner LG2 way back in 88'. Apparently it was my grandfather's guitar and since I was the only one in the family who played, they gave it to me. I never knew him...he died back in the 50's and I never heard my dad talk about him playing. My uncle had held on to it for 30 years before giving it to me. I loved it then and still love it. There is nothing quite like a LG2.  Very versatile and records exceptionally well. I love guitars in general and I admit I'm obviously I'm biased here but I love the sound of this more than any other guitar I've ever played. It's not necessarily the easiest one I've ever played but tonally, it knocks me out. I love Taylor guitars too but they just can't capture that deeper resonant mid-range presence that the LG2 emits.

It's very special to me as a legacy guitar. I'll never sell it and it'll go to my son when my time is up.

• Upvote 1