Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Gibson Quick Connect Pickups

jontaejones

Hello Gibson Forum,

I have a question about the quick connect pickups and this seems like the best place to ask. 

I have a 2018 SG with the Quick Connect pickups.  I have seen other forum threads regarding them.

It seems there are more minuses than positives.  You have to buy an adapter to fit a non-Gibson pickup.  Gibson has a limited selection of Quick Connect pickups and they seem to be never in stock.

My first question is does anybody know if there's any more than the 4 or 5 or so pickups that seem to be QC (and never in stock, but there are some on Reverb).

My 2nd question is this.  It seems that if you buy an adapter and a new non Quick Connect pickup, you can technically tie/twist the wires together without soldering and install the pickup.  Is this correct?

Granted, this wouldn't be permanent, but would allow you to possibly try pickups in your guitar and then return them, because they wouldn't be soldered.

This seems like a plus if it is true.  Of course, it seems you could buy an adapter and do this with any guitar perhaps, but I digress...

Do you folks know if what I suggest can be done?  Thanks.

Edited by jontaejones

I loved the quick disconnects when they first came out. Yes, they are getting harder to find. Odd thing is that I'm trying to sell a 57 Classic with the QD and nobody is interested, go figure. Gibson is selling some of their pickups with the four wires but without the connectors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

I think your idea of trying some four wire pups with a connector might work if you wanted to give it a test run. I don't think you would need to splice the wires together, you would only need to do that if you were to incorporate a 4 wire pup into a normal circuit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I loved the quick disconnects when they first came out. Yes, they are getting harder to find. Odd thing is that I'm trying to sell a 57 Classic with the QD and nobody is interested, go figure. Gibson is selling some of their pickups with the four wires but without the connectors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

I think your idea of trying some four wire pups with a connector might work if you wanted to give it a test run. I don't think you would need to splice the wires together, you would only need to do that if you were to incorporate a 4 wire pup into a normal circuit. 

Thanks for the response.  How could you not do it by not splicing the wires together?

Pickups comes with raw wires and the guitar end is a 5 pin connector, looks like...

3 hours ago, jontaejones said:

Thanks for the response.  How could you not do it by not splicing the wires together?

Pickups comes with raw wires and the guitar end is a 5 pin connector, looks like...

Does the connectors you are referring to have the wires already  installed? I have only seen them bare bone connectors. If that is that is the case, you should be good to go with your idea.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Upvote 1

I have used those adapters before, and you are correct, they are completely solder-less. You just insert the wires into a hole and tighten a screw to keep each wire in place. They’re great. The first one I used, actually came with a LP Standard HP (2017), but I’ve also used one I got from Reverb. Gibson stopped selling quick connect pickups in 2018, which is silly, since even now, some of the modern collection guitars are still using quick connect.

The only negative I see from the quick connect stuff is that if something goes wrong with the PCB board, there not much that can be done. However, all of mine are still running strong.  I’ve never had any problems trying different pickups with quick connect guitars, quite the contrary. It actually makes life much easier. Even if I’m using the ends of my stock quick connect pickups to splice it onto a new pickup, it feels luxurious having all the space in the world to solder the wires together. 

• Upvote 2

That's one thing about a lot of this technology that Gibson came out with in the past, at some point they will stop supporting it. Just like the batteries on those Firebird Xs. When the PCB start going out on these guitars, I think we will be hard pressed to find replacements. Fortunately we can remove that and put in the traditional circuitry. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/21/2019 at 10:08 AM, jontaejones said:

Hello Gibson Forum,

I have a question about the quick connect pickups and this seems like the best place to ask. 

I have a 2018 SG with the Quick Connect pickups.  I have seen other forum threads regarding them.

It seems there are more minuses than positives.  You have to buy an adapter to fit a non-Gibson pickup.  Gibson has a limited selection of Quick Connect pickups and they seem to be never in stock.

My first question is does anybody know if there's any more than the 4 or 5 or so pickups that seem to be QC (and never in stock, but there are some on Reverb).

My 2nd question is this.  It seems that if you buy an adapter and a new non Quick Connect pickup, you can technically tie/twist the wires together without soldering and install the pickup.  Is this correct?

Granted, this wouldn't be permanent, but would allow you to possibly try pickups in your guitar and then return them, because they wouldn't be soldered.

This seems like a plus if it is true.  Of course, it seems you could buy an adapter and do this with any guitar perhaps, but I digress...

Do you folks know if what I suggest can be done?  Thanks.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, pauloqs said:

I have used those adapters before, and you are correct, they are completely solder-less. You just insert the wires into a hole and tighten a screw to keep each wire in place. They’re great. The first one I used, actually came with a LP Standard HP (2017), but I’ve also used one I got from Reverb. Gibson stopped selling quick connect pickups in 2018, which is silly, since even now, some of the modern collection guitars are still using quick connect.

The only negative I see from the quick connect stuff is that if something goes wrong with the PCB board, there not much that can be done. However, all of mine are still running strong.  I’ve never had any problems trying different pickups with quick connect guitars, quite the contrary. It actually makes life much easier. Even if I’m using the ends of my stock quick connect pickups to splice it onto a new pickup, it feels luxurious having all the space in the world to solder the wires together. 

This be those adaptors. 😉

quickconn.jpg

quickconnzm.jpg

• Upvote 4