Gibson Brands Forums

Shopping for an ES-335

BBdotcom

Hi everyone, I'm shopping for an ES335, I went and checked out the new ones (2800$ to 3800$) and fell in love with them.

Cause of the price and the time it'll take for me to save up for one, 4 more months will prolly kill me.

So I started checking out the used market. Most of the used one's I've found are 91, 96, 00, 01,and 05 in the 2000$ range.

My Question is are there any years to avoid?

Or any years that are better than others?

Thanks in advance

Tom

In my opinion the only way to determine if one's for you is to play it. I have an '00, probably one of the early Memphis ones, and it's killer. There are some that are better, and some that are worse, and blanket statements may be based on hearsay or limited experience.

Thanks for the replies, Anyone know what the "TD" would stand for in ES-335 TD?

One of the pictures of the 96, you can see through the f hole and on the Gibson label inside you can clearly see ES-335 TD

All the other years I had mentioned in my first post have sold.

The 96 is a Cherry red Dot Figured. looks nice.

Thanks again

Tom

T= thin; D= double (for two pickups).

Thus an ES-335 TDN is "Thin-double pickup-natural" and an ES-335TDC is the same in cherry. Gibson was inconsistent (but maybe consistent from their point of view) on labels. For example, an ES-345TD has Variatone and stereo, while an ES-355TD does not; with those options (standard on 345s) it became the ES-345TD-SV.

If the guitar was sunburst, there was no letter for the finish, or, if they were produced in a single color, ditto; and often enough guitars available in several finishes had no indicator on the label.

Thanks Murph, and Everyone.

I'm really looking forward to getting an ES-335.

I'm checking the local sites for used ones. There were a couple more put on this weekend.

Seeing them this early is really eating at me, I really hope that when I have the money that I find this many for sale.

I put the Godin up for sale this weekend, Hoping someone would buy it and make the wait that much shorter.

And it kind of makes the wanting a guitar to replace that one alright ... in my wife's eyes. She thinks I can only play one guitar at a time and there's no use for another one. Trying to explain the different sounds doesn't matter to her.+:-@

But she's come to terms with me wanting the ES-335. It's cheaper than the boat I wanted But that's a long story.

Any way Thanks again

Tom

Thanks Murph' date=' and Everyone.

I'm really looking forward to getting an ES-335.

I'm checking the local sites for used ones. There were a couple more put on this weekend.

Seeing them this early is really eating at me, I really hope that when I have the money that I find this many for sale.

I put the Godin up for sale this weekend, Hoping someone would buy it and make the wait that much shorter.

And it kind of makes the wanting a guitar to replace that one alright ... in my wife's eyes. She thinks I can only play one guitar at a time and there's no use for another one. Trying to explain the different sounds doesn't matter to her.;)

But she's come to terms with me wanting the ES-335. It's cheaper than the boat I wanted But that's a long story.

Any way Thanks again

Tom[/quote']

I found mine on Craig's list for what amounted to half price, compared to what people were asking on eBay. The advantage of CL is that you can specify the area you are in, and don't have to worry about driving (or flying) all over to look at guitars. In my case I drove a little over 300 miles (this IS Texas, after all) and the guitar proved to be a stunner.

Generally speaking, private parties will sell for lower prices than dealers. My local dealer got hold of a cherry 345 Stereo, and wouldn't let go under $3K (I wasn't tempted, since I didn't want stereo or Variatone). I got my natural 335 for WAY less.

The Music store here in Montreal has a Natural one but its 3699$ plus taxes.

I want either a natural or a light burst or the tobacco burst, I already have a aged cherry burst Strat, and solid black Godin and the Martin is a tobacco burst, So I'm looking for something different, There was one Beale Street blue for sale here awhile back but it sold in 2 days.

I played the natural one at the store and have a picture of me playing it, that my wife took with the cell phone not the greatest of pictures I might add. If I'm going with a new one I think I'm going to get the Light burst figured dot.

You know the other day when you posted the picture of your Guitar and Amp I thought to myself how nice the Natural ES-335 looks standing beside that tweed amp. The funny thing is I have the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue in tweed.

And your picture really hit home. I could have that setup one day.+:-@

Oh well the dream is still alive.

btw craiglist isn't that big here in Quebec. We have two local listings lespac.ca (Quebec only) and kijiji.ca (Canada wide)

these two I've been checking daily.

I'll only buy a guitar somewhere within driving range. No way I'm going to have it shipped.

Thanks for the info

Tom

I think the Hall Groper knows ES-335's' date=' like the H-Bomb knows SG's.

The wise men of the forums..........

Murph.[/quote']

Thanks for that vote of confidence Murph.

You know the other day when you posted the picture of your Guitar and Amp I thought to myself how nice the Natural ES-335 looks standing beside that tweed amp. The funny thing is I have the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue in tweed.

And your picture really hit home. I could have that setup one day.:-#

Thanks for the info

Tom

I played a gig Saturday with that combination and I confess, that when I wasn't playing, I was sitting in the audience looking at it!

Good luck finding what you want. Let us know how it turns out.

I played a gig Saturday with that combination and I confess, that when I wasn't playing, I was sitting in the audience looking at it!

Ha. That's what I do with my ES-339 next to the Boogie. Ya gotta love having the rig of your dreams, eh?

I still want an ES-335 though.

Murph.

All the used one's I've seen so far were all around 2000$.

There is one nice one in Toronto Mr.335, person is asking 3500.

BTW the reissue 335's that are out like the 58 or 59 how are they aged?

I tried a 58 reissue in the store and looking closely at the finish it had some sort of white haze all over the guitar even on the pick ups. I was told it was a 58 reissue. Looking on the Gibson page I don't see it there.

I do know I want a nice shiny one.

Archived