Gibson Brands Forums

Back from the dead J-40

Seagull

A local Luther brought my old J-40 back to life.

The pin-less bridge gave way to low RH several years ago.  He did a great job with the repair.  Plays better than ever and sound much better.

It's an early 70 version.  It's a keep sake belonged to an old friend of mine that passed a decade ago. 

Seems good details on these are hard to find.  Kind of like they just put together what was left at the end of the day.  I have heard them called a work'in mans J-45.

Gibson j40 smaller.jpg

• Like 1

I was all set to buy a used 70’s J-40 at a guitar show about 10 years.  I bargained with the seller for about an hour and then walked away for a few minutes to take a bargaining break.  About five minute later I walked back and saw the guitar at another vendor’s booth at double the price I had the original vendor down to.  When I went back to the original vendor, I asked him what happened and he told me when I walked away, a vendor walked over and offered him something like $25 more than the price I had negotiated down to.  That one got away.

It was a pretty good guitar.  Not one that is on everyone’s radar with its unusual for Gibson string through bridge, but a pretty good sounding and playing guitar.

Good to see you have the one you obtained now all fixed up.  Enjoy!

QM aka “Jazzmam” Jeff

11 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I was all set to buy a used 70’s J-40 at a guitar show about 10 years.  I bargained with the seller for about an hour and then walked away for a few minutes to take a bargaining break.  About five minute later I walked back and saw the guitar at another vendor’s booth at double the price I had the original vendor down to.  When I went back to the original vendor, I asked him what happened and he told me when I walked away, a vendor walked over and offered him something like $25 more than the price I had negotiated down to.  That one got away.

It was a pretty good guitar.  Not one that is on everyone’s radar with its unusual for Gibson string through bridge, but a pretty good sounding and playing guitar.

Good to see you have the one you obtained now all fixed up.  Enjoy!

QM aka “Jazzmam” Jeff

The first day of a show is all about dealers buying from one another.  I once passed on a 1956 J160E which I could have scored at a local shop for a scary low price.  It ended up going off   to Dallas or one of the big shows where it was sold to another dealer who promptly added a couple of thousand to the price tag.  And so it goes, so it goes . . . 

It is  always nice when an instrument takes on a special meaning to the owner because of the memories associated with it.  That is true Mojo.

Funny but I cannot recall even ever stumbling across  a J40. to play.    I wonder though what is the difference between a J40 and a J50.

The bridge looks like a clunkier version of that on the Harmony Sovereign 1260.  I am a bit surprised though that the repair guy did not replace it with a pin bridge.    

Edited by zombywoof

We chose to leave the pin-less bridge, it was still in pretty good shape.  He did add two thru pins to help secure it in place.

It really made a difference in the tone of the guitar 100% for the better.  It was rather a dud before.  I had him put very light strings on it, but after he said we could go up a gauge if I wanted.  We will see, it still covers a room pretty good and plays like butter...

• 1 month later...