Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 '99 ESDT marking. Incomplete label? Fake?

Malo

Hi everyone!

I'm going to purchase a second-hand ES 335, so I went try some and I came across this curious circumstance: this guitar is sold as '99 ES 335, the internal label is yellow with handwritten serial and model, BUT it's not stated anywhere that it's a "335" (only "ESDT"). I made some search on the web but not found any information about this marking or 'incomplete' labelling. Could someone explain it please? Wondering if it could be a (excellent) fake.

Thank you all,

Maurizio

DSC_1341.JPG

DSC_1342.JPG

DSC_1344.JPG

DSC_1355.JPG

Yeah, the label is missing the color, hardware type (e.g. nickel) and 335 type (e.g. NH1 for Reissue) info. ES is obvious, DT means Dot Neck. Quite a coincidence that it's a 335 and the day of the year in the serial number is 335. 317 would be correct for an electric. I went looking for that label but couldn't find it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You could try this: hit the arrow button.

It looks good - i.e. real - to me but I'm no expert and the label raises questions, as noted by  @thornev.

If you take the truss rod cover off, has part of the truss rod nut been machine-filed away?  

Thank you guys.

I've tried to contact service Gibson's email. Jdgm, truss rod nut seems 'standard' to me.

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

You could try this: hit the arrow button.

It looks good - i.e. real - to me but I'm no expert and the label raises questions, as noted by  @thornev.

If you take the truss rod cover off, has part of the truss rod nut been machine-filed away?  

DSC_1360.JPG

That truss looks authentic to me. I know the issue is paying for a brand name when maybe it's not and hence overpaying, but the real question, or at least the 2nd one of importance, should be this... do you like playing the guitar? If you do, then ask if you like it enough to pay the price. See, what's most important in my mind, unless you're buying for an investment, is if you will be happy playing it. Happiness will outlast any amount of money if you know what I mean.   Thorne