Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard Paint

makers72

Hmm i was very dissatisfied when i returned back from a business trip to find my pickguard paind on my Gibson Dove faded in certain areas.

I had just bought it this past December, its a 2007 and was brand new. When i left for my trip three weeks ago i cleaned it and put it in its case and came back and some of the flowers paint has completely faded out and all you see is the indentations left in the pickguard.

Is it possible to get the colors to repaint it? Or is it a special gibson color and only they have it?

Contact Bozeman. It's covered under the warranty. It's a known issue, that they have since fixed. I had to replace the guard on my Hummingbird due to some lifting. I spoke to, and worked with a lady there named Levon (Lavonne) (forgive me I'm not sure of the spelling.) She was extremely professional and very friendly.

She made "my" problem, a "no problem."

Give 'em a call.

Here's a quote from Gibson UK regarding my pickgaurd (J200 ltd edition, paint was also lifting):

"We can send you a replacement pickguard.

Just to inform you; the wear on the pickguard is a result of the acids in the skin wearing down the paint in most cases. The best would be to gently wipe the pickguard with a cotton cloth after you have finished playing the guitar. This is just meant as additional information.

Please let me know to which address the pickguard can be shipped."

Holy Crap! What didja clean it with?? I only use H2O on mine out of fear of "Chemical Ali".

I didn't clean mine with anything!! The flowers fell off!! Gibson did send me a new one, but it's the same crappy style,

I started out with. So I didn't even bother changing it.

I didn't clean mine with anything!! The flowers fell off!! Gibson did send me a new one' date=' but it's the same crappy style,

I started out with. So I didn't even bother changing it.[/quote']

Gotta say that I'm a little surprised by this apparently frequent problem. I've seen an Epi masterbuilt or two with pickguards whose ornamentation was coming off, and these were still in the shop. I assumed that the decoration had just been painted on, and lightly at that, and that the Gibsons, as much more expensive guitars, had better pickguards.

A couple people have mentioned that their replacement guards had the decoration on the inside, so to speak, and not on the surface where it could be wiped or scratched away. Before buying a new guitar, it' gonna be necessary to take a close look at the 'guard to be sure you're getting one of the newer models.

As for cleaning and polishing, I personally use Virtuoso Premium cleaner and polish. It's a little on the expensive side, but is really jaw dropping stuff. I guarantee you have never used anything like it. They don't even come from the factory looking as good as this stuff makes them look and it leaves them feeling silky smooth. Oh, and it cuts through forearm crud like it's nothing you've ever seen.

Archived