Gibson Brands Forums

Another (sort of) NGD

Filbert

About a year or so ago, I had an itch that I had to scratch regarding buying a vintage guitar and lo, I ended up buying a 1939 L30. However, there were some  issues - it looked every single one of its ~80 years, it needed new frets, the tuners and bushings were in a state, it was very buzzy and rattly and the varnish was in a bit of a state as well.

It got put to the back burner for a while but at the beginning of this month, I found a local luthier and decided to get it the TLC it deserved. I picked it up today and my God, it is incredible! The neck feels absolutely fantastic; it's a V profile that I thought would be horribly uncomfortable but the reverse is true; it's super playable. He managed to bring out a good shine on it and even out the finish (there was a horrible shiny patch where the pickguard had been). Anyway, judge for thyself:

L6X4mZf.jpg

XqIVOUW.jpg

i5NrJDW.jpg

Other stuff done:

• New Stew Mac tuner bushings to replace the old ill-fitted ones
  • New bone nut
  • Refret and dress
  • Bridge adjustment and intonation
  • Reglued some braces that were lifting
  • Evened out and buffed up the finish

Both he and I were keen to keep the originality of the finish as much as possible - although it looks well worn and it really is, it wears the years well. It's definitely a survivor, this guitar. Here's to another 80 years!

• Like 2

Looks really nice. Congratulations.

I'd be curious to see a "before" picture of that top to understand exactly what he did for the cosmetics. It is very tricky to buff or polish a badly checked and flaking finish. Virtuoso says not to use their products on checked or damaged finishes, as the polish residue is impossible to remove from finish cracks.

I can vouch for the truth in that claim.

I did have a 'before' thread in the Restoration section from some months back but sadly, the place where I hosted the pics has got rid of them. What I can say is he has done a cracking job of restoring the finish and as far as I am aware, all he really did was give it a light polish - he definitely said he didn't want to be abrasive or damage the lacquer in any way