Gibson Brands Forums

Congratulations, Lewis!

G Mac

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton for winning his fifth F1 championship! This win puts him one shy of Michael Schumaker's all- time record of six World Championships! Good Luck next year, Mr. Hamilton...you, sir, are one hell of a driver!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, G Mac said:

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton for winning his fifth F1 championship! This win puts him one shy of Michael Schumaker's all- time record of six World Championships! Good Luck next year, Mr. Hamilton...you, sir, are one hell of a driver!

Lewis just won his 6th F1 championship, Schumacher has 7.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, G Mac said:

As usual, I've proven to be ill informed! Thanks for the correction! It does not, however, change the sentiment of my post which was to congratulate a fine driver and wish him luck in the future.

I'm ill informed on a constant basis. Part of me wants Lewis to tie or break Schumi's record, part of me doesn't. I believe he can do it though, that Benz has been almost unstoppable for a few years now, and I don't see things changing soon. He was in Atlanta a few days ago.

• Like 1

I'd love to meet him...he seems like a genuinely nice fellow. Actually, I'd like to meet any of those guys. They're all such good drivers; even if they're not blessed with the greatest rides. But yeah, it looks like Mercedes and Ferrari as far as the eye can see! They both have such seemingly unlimited amounts of money for R & D.

• Like 1

My brother is a part time spotter on an IndyCar team, he only does this for the Indy 500. He worked with Robert Wickens last year, and former F1 driver Marcus Ericsson this year. That same team will build a car for Fernando Alonso this year, so he might be spotting for him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G Mac said:

They both have such seemingly unlimited amounts of money for R & D.

That's all about to change in 2021, as the "new" owners want to limit teams budgets. The cars will be several seconds a lap slower, a huge difference in an F1 car.

Liberty are changing F1 from a European sport to something more like an American model in a bid to capture the US market. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

My brother is a part time spotter on an IndyCar team, he only does this for the Indy 500. He worked with Robert Wickens last year, and former F1 driver Marcus Ericsson this year. That same team will build a car for Fernando Alonso this year, so he might be spotting for him.

That's cool! I'd like to live in a place where I could go to some Indy or F1 races...

10 hours ago, IanHenry said:

That's all about to change in 2021, as the "new" owners want to limit teams budgets. The cars will be several seconds a lap slower, a huge difference in an F1 car.

Liberty are changing F1 from a European sport to something more like an American model in a bid to capture the US market. 

One of the things that I love about F1 is that it's not more American. European road racing is my favorite driving. I think Americans would eventually come around if given enough time. I've never been into the oval thing, though I can appreciate the endurance factor needed to keep a car running at or near full speed for that length of time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G Mac said:

That's cool! I'd like to live in a place where I could go to some Indy or F1 races...

One of the things that I love about F1 is that it's not more American. European road racing is my favorite driving. I think Americans would eventually come around if given enough time. I've never been into the oval thing, though I can appreciate the endurance factor needed to keep a car running at or near full speed for that length of time.

It was awesome around here when there was the Indy 500, Brickyard 400, F1, and MotoGP bike racing. Now the bikes and F1 are gone. There is a rumor that since Penske bought the Speedway, he wants to get F1 back at Indy.

• Like 1

That would be great. Indy might be the only track that's big enough for F1. Do they use a road course at Indy or would they just circulate like the 500? Also, do the Indy cars race at C.O.T.A. and, if not, why not? I'd love to see more races here in the U.S.! I wonder if Long Beach and Laguna Seca are F1 capable; they're my two favorite tracks here. Do you happen to know if there are any GT races here?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G Mac said:

That would be great. Indy might be the only track that's big enough for F1. Do they use a road course at Indy or would they just circulate like the 500? Also, do the Indy cars race at C.O.T.A. and, if not, why not? I'd love to see more races here in the U.S.! I wonder if Long Beach and Laguna Seca are F1 capable; they're my two favorite tracks here. Do you happen to know if there are any GT races here?

Don't forget in years gone by they held Grand Prix on a hotel car park in Las Vegas😀 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, G Mac said:

Really? I had no idea! What time period was that?

I had to look it up, but it was Caesars Palace between 1981 - 84. I've been to Caesars Palace but I've no recollection of the car park, it must be big though. Bit of a bugger trying to find where you parked🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, G Mac said:

Indy has it's own infield road course, and they use about half of the oval. They eliminated 175k seats to make the road course.  The first Indy F1 was the most attended F1 race in history, over 250k people. The cars were at full throttle for 22 seconds, they sounded awesome while sitting in the covered grand stand. IndyCar does race at COTA, this year was the first one. The F1 cars were 13 seconds a lap faster. They raced at Long Beach back in the 80s, 90s. There is two more F1 racing coming to the states in the next year or so, one is somewhere in California, the other is a street course in Miami, New York/Jersey is also trying to get a race. Since Roger Penske bought the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he wants to bring F1 back there. There is a lot of GT racing in the states, IMSA has racing everywhere. They will have a 12 hour endurance race at Indy next year.

• Like 1

Yes, Hamilton is a great one.  I'm more of a Kimi fan.  I am fortunate to have been, with my son, at the Austin race last year when Kimi won.  We were at the Austin race this year, too.  We had a great time. 

I've read the parking lot race in Vegas wasn't that popular.  Some felt racing in a parking lot "demeaned the F1 brand".  The last I heard the Miami race is being proposed as a parking lot race around the the Dolphins stadium.  However, F1 is becoming more and more popular in the U.S. and the F.I.A. definitely wants to do another race here in the states.